Author Options:

Computer controlled crossover? Answered

Hey guys, I've been wanting to ask someone about this idea for a while now. You know how you can get programs like SRS Wow that's built into windows media player? There are also other assorted Equalizer programs (with sliders) or for effect, to change how your music is playing. If these programs can do this merely with cpu power, is there a way I could have a source from the mic/input plug on a soundcard in one of my spare towers, and say, re-route it to the speaker/output on the card, but say, have a subsonic filter in place between the input and the output of the card, using only software? I'm pretty Effin sure this has to be possible, and yes I can take into consideration that there could be some considerable cpu usage for realtime playback. My goal would be to say set in place a 20 or 30hz cutoff point and then run that to my subwoofer amp, or use two seperate towers, and run my other subwoofers I have sitting around, but they need a higher cutoff point as they are only 8-10inch woofers. Could anyone lend a hand?? I know this has to be possible somehow.


With this type of design your talking about, the treble and the bass would be offset, because of the time it takes to process the bass audio in the computer. Although it wouldn't be much, it would be just enough to mess things up. So, I suggest using two computers (or two audio cards), one to remove the treble from the bass, and then another to remove the bass from the treble. That is, if you can find (or write) the software.

I was actually searching around the other day for some software and found a program that could add effects (distortion, equalization and whatnot) in real time, and that the software supported more than one sound card, but it was a multi-track recorder and would not have done what I wanted it to. I do know it's possible to install two pci soundcards in one computer, but last time I tried it, neither of them would work. And that was just to see if I would get two audio outputs. I know theres a way to do what I want here, but I just need to find someone that knows what I'm talking about.

And besides, that doesn't help me because my main computer is for the main output of the sound, which I just leave fairly unmodified except I have adjusted the bass and treble sliders in the windows control panel.

Can you add a diagram explanation with audio-channels and jacks (so that I can get my head around this?) I'm sort of there but not quite... L

Here is a brief diagram I just whipped up, I hope it clears things up immensely.


That's a great diagram!
Without buying a specific device, you could wire the tower-out to a PC line-in, use software on that and connect the line-out to the secondary sub-amp. Half-decent audio-functions usually come with free audio-level software and there must be more free stuff?


That's exactly what I thought, I just don't know what exactly to call that kind of software to even begin searching for it.

I've got an equaliser with my mainboard, it's already there. What's sitting in your system tray? L

Yes but most software equalization software I have seen is for things playing out of a media player, if you were to hook something up to the line in, it would come out of the speakers untouched.

Usually, but the one for my mainboard affects everything going to line-out. L

Oh.. does it have sliders for the 30hz or below bands?

No it doesn't go below 100Hz. But I'm not sure you'd get software that does easily. L

We had a program on the C2k computers in school that had basic control over the equalization of music, don't know about using one as a crossover but it was clever enough to remove lyrics. My speakers have a built in adjustable crossover, it only adjusts the amount of woof from the woofer by moving the threshold but it's something to start with. For software to do it the computer would need to have three audio ports and the program would have to choose the frequencies and send them to the correct speaker, if possible it would be good because you'd be able to use more dedicated speakers to that tonal range. Though I'm not sure if it would be an improvement on using real crossovers

I don't suppose it would be BETTER than using a hardware crossover with a builtin subsonic filter, but I don't have one currently. I don't see why you would need three audio ports. One input from a monitor output from my surround amplifier, then the output to a second amplifier that runs my subwoofers. And somewhere along the line in the middle, filter out the highs.

Hmm, see in my eyes implementing it with a hardware crossover may be simpler and less complicated, also you'd need a way to set the program...

Check out the 'ible for the speakers in the music contest, there are plans for crossovers in there, though googling plans would work too, there are plenty... Also they're reasonably simple circuits for what they actually do...