Author Options:

Convert Pull-String Lawn Mower to either Push Button or Key Operated Answered

Can this be done?


Any current or updated ideas for this? I was wondering the same thing, but thought it would be pretty easy.

Ring or email the mover wreckers for support and cheap parts. They do postal orders too.

Key/button start sounds like a lot of work- adding a start motor, battery, etc. It would probably be very simple to hack together something like the Spin Start- http://www.amazon.com/System-Lawn-Boy-Tecumseh-vertical-engines/dp/B0002H33YG
Just need a rubber plug that chucks into an electric drill, and a compatible metal cup that bolts onto the flywheel. You don't want a direct linkage like a bolt and socket- it needs to slip as soon as the engine starts running faster than the drill.
That would off-load the battery/electrical supply and start motor, so you don't have to drag those around as you mow. And this wouldn't require taking off the pull start, so you would still have that as a backup. Might need to modify the start clutch, though.

Yes, This could be done but the pull start would have to be take off and replaced with a special type of 12 volt motor that you would hook up to the switch (key switch or push button, rocker switch, etc....)

Reclassified to "Burning Questions" -- help:feedback is meant for providing feedback to I'bles Staff about site operations issues.