Author Options:

Differents polishers in Dremel set. What to use? Answered

I use a Dremel-clone, and it has two kind of polishers; the white felt ones and this two other type:

Looks like hard rubber, and I used it to burnish steel to clean some grinding marks. It works, but I'm not sure:

1 - Must I use the  polishing powder like with the felt ones?

2 - Why they have two colors, green and blue? Have they different hardness?

Thanks for your time!



Best Answer 6 years ago

The rubber (they're called rubber points or polishing points) are typically used to polish in tight spaces. Felt polishing wheels or points require an abrasive compound. Polishing compounds come in many colors) but the most common are black, white, and red. Black is typically the most aggressive and would be used on steel for initial polishing. White is much finer and would be used for final polishing of steel and on some plastics. Red compound is typically used on softer metals such as copper or brass.


The "tight spaces" sounds right, but I still need to know difference between green and blue rubber points.

And what about a green compound powder?

Can't help you there. I'd suggest experimenting.


6 years ago

In polishing, you often will see the compounds of green, red, and white.
The green is called Tripoli. It takes out the larger scratches. Use it first.
The red is called Rouge. Use it after Tripoli. It will remove scratches that Tripoli made taking out the bigger scratches.
Lastly, finish your work with the white. It is White Rouge. It is also found as a paste in automotive polishes or buffing compounds.
Each polish requires its own buffing wheel. Use the felt with Tripoli (or the cloth is ok too) but use the cloth wheels only for the Rouges. The felt is too hard. Keep the polishes separate. Don't mix them up on one wheel for obvious reasons.
Also, keep them well separated from your other gritty bits.
I like to use the diamond bits for the big scratches that the sanders leave. The Tripoli and etc.
I've done lapidary and jewelry making for most of my life. But only now am getting into my first granite counter top fabrication! Stoked to know that I'm already in good shape with knowledge of stone polishing. I have a lap set but it's a table top wheel collection. Wet work with a dremel is something I haven't done. So I'm researching that now...


6 years ago

I'm sorry about not google-search the polisher.
I did not do it because I had no names... but I would see the colors in a graphical search. Sorry.

Yes, they are called rubber polishing points, and need no powder.
Light blue softer than green, softer than navy.

Thanks a lot.

As I'm sure you noticed, even the knockoffs use a color coded system, and while they might not be exact to your accessories, they should give you a fairly good idea about the differences in color. There are so many of those tools on the market that by searching a company with similar pieces, you might find a better description. Over here we have a "Motomaster" brand made by "Canadian Tire" and Walmart sells a non-dremel brand as well.

Again, I'll suggest you google the brand name you're using and find their website. They should have a list of replacement parts, and they'll have a better description for each piece.

The rubber tool you mentioned, sounds like a polishing tool. I would try the tool without and then with the polishing powder to see if there's a difference. Chances are the tool won't do anything without the powder or some other type of polishing compound.

The colors are usually to tell the difference between the polishing strengths. One might be your first pass to clean up scratches, and the other might be for a finer polish.

Get the information from the company's website and print out their accessories page and keep it with your tool for future reference.