154Views8Replies

Author Options:

Foodsaver Freshsaver Handheld AC power hack Answered

Foodsaver makes a small handheld unit called the freshsaver handheld. It is rechargeable but has a strange design which requires the unit to be pre-charged immediately before using. After use, the unit does not hold a charge very long. 24 ish hours if I recall correctly. The starnge thing is the unit will not operate when plugged in. I guess it's just designed that way.
I remember seeing a tutorial on how to make this thing work on ac power but, I just can't find it now, no matter how hard I try.
Would some kind soul please solve this puzzle for me and make an instructable? Pretty please?

Discussions

0
None
Downunder35m

1 year ago

There is no real puzzle....
Either a special capacitor is used to store the energy or a weirdly designed battery.
In any case from there you will have a operating voltage, the power cord usually just interrupts things with a switch in the plug.
Remove the battery, disconnect the "switch" and connect a suitable DC power adapter in place for the battery.

0
None
Yonatan24Downunder35m

Reply 1 year ago

That's what I was thinking, that it might be a super capacitor (but why?)

And I was going to suggest to replace the batteries with a proper power supply, that can deliver enough amps.

0
None
swayYonatan24

Reply 1 year ago

How would I do this? I used a different plug that doesn't have a switch and it works fine now but, if there is a better option, I'm all ears.

0
None
Downunder35mYonatan24

Reply 1 year ago

I did not try any math on it but assuming it is a capacitor:
Private users with little hand held devices usually don't use them often.
Unlike a toothbrush (hopefully) a sealer will be used once or twice and then rest somehere, often for weeks.
A capacitor won't mind this type of abuse, a battery will be useless after a year.

0
None
swayDownunder35m

Reply 1 year ago

Your observation would explain why so many people complain about the batteries dying within a year.

0
None
sway

1 year ago

Yep. There was a switch in the charger. I substituted a different plug with the same specs and it works perfectly. Thank you so much!