Author Options:

Growing Mushrooms Answered

Next year I will probably will try to grow Oyster mushrooms and maybe Shiitake mushrooms. Does anybody have any useful tips?



9 years ago

Actually i was looking into growing some mushrooms when one of our dogs demonstrated that some of the wild mushrooms that grow in our lawn under our maple tree where edible. I was seriously worried that she was gonna die, but when she wasn't even sick i started to wonder. The mushrooms 'fruit' when we brush the horses out under the maple tree. not sure if it's the hair, or the horse poo that does it as both have been known to trigger fruiting events. I've since looked into collecting wild, edible mushroom in a little greater detail. There's a wealth of knowledge about it online as long as you're not trying to get into psychadellic mushrooms.

A "how to" would make a good instructable - start taking pictures as soon as you gather your materials.

Well thanks, Good! I hope someone might give it a try - and that mine grow alright :)

I had done it before with a bargain kit, an open box (scary), in the only normally dark damp place in the apt (bathroom, scarier yet), and although I did get the thread like starting, it eventually died (maybe too many chemicals {deoderants, etc.} sprayed into the air). I will have to try it again with it enclosed this time though.

Yikes, that sounds pretty bad. The plexi box seems to be working well with the log, as well as it's keeping it nice and humid (I do spray it daily though to make sure). Oysters on the toilet paper are also doing alright, though they haven't formed pins or anything yet, I think they should work well.

I have to agree with Shesparticular, especially about isolating the batch from outside airflow (Plexiglas enclosure), since spores are in the air nearly everywhere.

Mushrooms can be tricky. I would advise starting with a store bought kit.

I'm going to use a kit. I know some people which make them. It is better to get it from the manufacture because the kits in the stores may be old and the fungus might be killed.

Yes, I agree with Kiteman, especially your method of keeping airborne spores from contaminating your field :-)