Help with school project. Redesigning soldering iron for beginners. Answered
I am an industrial design student at the University of Alberta in Canada looking for some help for my project. I have been assigned to redesign a soldering iron and research on how to make this tool better with input from users in the specified market. In this case, I am looking for first timers or beginners who have just been introduced to soldering and gear my improvements towards their needs. My primary design goal is to lessen the learning curve by addressing issues of safety and comfort.
I have posted some questions as part of my research and would love the input. All input is welcomed regardless of skill level.
Thank you for your help!
Soldering Iron Design Survey
1. What is your experience and skill level? ( None, beginner, average, expert)
2. Which type of soldering iron do you use? The gun shaped one or the pen type?
3. In what environment / setting do you use it most? eg. workbench, kitchen table.
4. What were some of the needs you had for the too and were they metl? (Needs meaning minimum expectations, without which the product would be a failure)
5. What were some of the wants you had for the tool?
6. What were some problems you encountered when you first used a soldering iron?
7. Which aspects of a soldering iron besides functionality do you consider being the most important? eg. comfort, safety etc.
Thanks for your help!