Author Options:

How Do I Measure Excess Heat? Answered

I am planning on making a Cold Fusion Reactor(CFR) and would like to know how I would measure that.  Please explain to me what excess heat to me and how to measure it. 
NOTE:  Please leave out rude comments on my CFR and just answer my question?


Track all, and I mean ALL, of the energy going in. That includes chemical energy. Track all, and I mean ALL, of the energy coming out. Subtract the former from the latter. What's left is excess heat.

You aren't going to be able to afford the equipment needed to do this measurement properly, even if you manage to do something nobody else has succeeded at and produce cold fusion.

You really need to go into a library and spend a few weeks, or months, reading up on this topic. We can't spoon-feed it all to you; there's simply too much of it. I know just enough to know how much I don't know.

> I know just enough to know how much I don't know.
. The more I learn, the more I realize just how ignorant I really am. ;)

There was actually a study recently indicating that, in fact, clueless individuals generally believe they know considerably more than they do while experts generally believe they know considerably less than they do.

What exactly do you mean by EXCESS heat? I boil a kettle which will reach 100 deg C on a flame that is perhaps 1000 deg C so there is some 900 deg C excess heat available but it would take a long time to heat the kettle if the stove top was only 110 deg C.

Orksecurity makes a good point.

He means "Over-unity" , his CFR is supposed to generate more energy than it consumes, and he wants to measure it.

And he doesn't know basic chemistry or physics. This is going to be fun!


7 years ago

Thank you for all the great answers, But how do I measure energy in heat and water evaperation?

We gave you the answer for heat. Look up "calorimeter" in Wikipedia. If you don't know what "heat of vaporization" is, look it up on Wikipedia as well.

That's rather the trick, isn't it ?

I can't see any quick answers, its not something I've ever needed to do. Like I said, look at how the old guys did it, their technology is something you could more readily duplicate than modern techniques.

Key to the measurement is painstakingly precise temperature measurement.

THE best way is by precision platinum resistance thermometry - good to microkelvin in the best labs, reasonably easy to do to millikelvin.

The precise measurement of energy is remarkably difficult, and its the source of error in virtually all discussions of over-unity energy devices.

If you were to spend some time researching the life and work of James Prescott Joule, you would get some ideas of ways to proceed. Not for nothing is the SI unit of energy named after him.

So no easy answers to this one, I'm afraid. Its a seriously pernickety art.



7 years ago

I have done tons of research and have done all of that im just new to the idea of excess heat.

What orksecurity said is correct. You measure all the energy going into your system (with a variety of devices), and all the energy coming out (with a variety of devices). If the output is greater than the input, then the difference is an "excess." If the output is less than the input, the difference is a "deficit." You will need a high quality calorimeter, picoammeters and precision voltmeters, along with a phase measurement to take care of any power factor, you will need gamma and neutron detectors. Your best bet is to get an undergraduate degree in physics, do some research on what professors, at what institutions, are involved in cold fusion research, and sign on with one of them as a graduate student.

Given the questions you're asking, you need to do "tons" more. Sorry, but this is an area where genuine expertise really is required. And I think that's all I have to say on the topic. Good luck. Try not to injure anyone else, or to be hoodwinked by someone selling you an impossibility.