Author Options:

How can I identify what kind of resistors I have? Answered

Recently I have been trying to identify and categorise all my scavenged electronic components.

I know how to identify the values and tolerances of the resistors by using the colour bands, but some of the resistors have different 'body' colours. I know the standard beige/brown ones are carbon film and metal film resistors are often blue. But I have some other colours, which I would guess are also metal film-but I don't know, they are all shown and labelled in the picture.

Let me know if you think you know what they all are.

From left to right:
1st is a standard carbon film
2nd I'm sure is a metal film resistor
3rd: ??its a slightly greeny aqua colour
4,5,6,7th:??? these are a torqoise green type colour
8th: ??? this is lime green


I think 4,5,6,7, and 8 are inductors, the kind made from very thin wire on a ferrite core.  Certainly they have some resistance too.  But that resistance probably will not match the color-code number on them. I think the coded number is supposed to be the self-inductance in microhenrys (uH)

I was trying to find a good picture of some more of these inductors that resemble resistors in appearance, and so far I found this:

and this:

Seems like those style of inductors are usually colored green for some reason, probably so that people won't get then confused with resistors.


The green looking ones are inductors. The color is choosen so they are not confused with resistors. Look for an inductor color code chart to ID them.

They all look like metal films.

Do you disagree that they might be inductors?

No. I have not seen them before. The inductors I use have always been SMT, or wound by me