Author Options:

How can I use a bridge rectifier to convert 120 AC to 12VDC? Answered

I'm using a 12 VDC power antenna to run an automatic coop door opener. 


You'll also need a transformer.

Start: 120V AC

Add Transformer: Lower voltage to about 12V AC

Add Bridge-Rectifier: About 12V DC

Sure looks like plagiarism to scrabble to the top !

Do you ever read other answers...?

Plagiarism? Whose words did I steal exactly?

Sorry I don't exactly understand your comment, and yes, I usually read other replies... Why?

Cause below he has a image with a 120->12v transformer and a bridge rectifier (and a regulator behind it). You didn't exactly steal words, but you are just repeating the answer he showed with a image.

Sorry, but no. (Hint-hint: I don't know how to read schematics!)

Let's say that I was a plagiarizer, as he wrote. If I was the one that asked the question, I wouldn't understand what those weird names and numbers (the schematic). That is why my comment is simpler.

Even if I would have copy pasted some of the words that are in his comment (which I didn't do), I think it could still be legitimate.

Do you think that someone that doesn't know how to turn 120 VAC into 12V DC would know how to read a schematic? I think not.

iceng, I'd love to hear you response.

According to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, to "plagiarize" means. to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own.

I don't think you would actively plagiarize, but to paraphrase Steve "not knowing is no excuse".. Also, I only said "it looks like it "..

Musicians argue about who came up with the sound first in trial lawsuits.

Say you do not understand how to read circuit schematics yet you have published... Which Components Are Worth Salvaging [motors and a schematic symbol of a DC motor][resistors][potentiometers with schematic symbol][batteries with schematic symbol][LEDs][diodes][bridge rectifiers][etc], How you Organize your Electrolytic Capacitors.. Perusing further I see, you know about PCBs, SMD caps and resistors plus you know how to solder and use power resistors.

My point is, I agree, you did not intend to copy.... But also you shouldn't be offering technical advice, to people looking for an answer and are unaware that, as you say, " I don't know how to read schematics ".

I agree. I know all of the most commonly used components, but not all of their symbols for making a schematic. (I searched their symbol on google images, I didn't make that myself...)

If you look at my other reply (3 days ago, placed right over your answer), you can see that I also suggested a standard 12V power supply, after I wrote the first comment. I think we can finish this as a comment that I wrote, that accidentally had an answer similar to yours.

(By the way, when I ask a question, I prefer getting several similar answers (like this one), so I can understand the best.)

Its not so hard to read schematics you know most of the components and my drawing has labeled them for you.


Yes, I know. I just haven't had the time to get more into electronics. I'm mostly into making all sorts of flashlights and lighting with really cheap 10W LED's from eBay (And those also need current limiting resistors or whatever they are).

Just because you don't know doesn't mean you aren't plagiarising though.


When was the last time that you herad of someone "accidentally" rob a bank?

Iceng’s words are harsh, but if you click on the left schematic of iceng’s first post, you will see what you describe in your answer. The schematic also includes a capacitor after the bridge which is a good idea with a bridge.

Simply use a 12V adapter.

I do apologize for harsh words used. An outcome of multiple similar events.

That was also the reason for the illustrative eBay post, which was originally your good solution comment.

Normally I would Reply with a [+] to you and the URL pointer..

A Reply does not qualify for best answer...

A 12V power supply can easily do that. You can buy one for really cheap on eBay.


2 years ago

No but you will need it together with a transformer, capacitor and may be a regulator.