0Vyger 6 years ago ReplyUpvoteHaving cords around could start the little one off on a course of great learning. I learned a lot from the unprotected electrical things that surrounded me when little. I still remember my first truly electrifying experience when I stuck a little curious finger in between the contacts of a plugged in radio. And then there was the time when I tried to magnetize a paper clip by dropping it across the contacts. A beautiful shower of sparks and noise followed by a "Now what did you do!!!" from my mom, who was now in the dark and which made for my discreet escape. And then there was the hanging lamp from the ceiling that was really fun to wind up and let it spin around. Until one day when the cord wore out, shorted out and burned the wire up and of course broke the glass lamp on the floor when it came down. I tried to break its fall with my head but was unsuccessful. Later in life I learned to be a little more careful but I still had accidents. I mean how was I to know that when you string those little copper wires from cords, between nails a foot apart and then plug them into the wall that the copper wire would turn into little molten balls of metal and burn through things like sheets and carpets. But at least the lights only flickered and apart from the burning smell it was hard to tell what kind of success my experiment really had. Kids learn not to mess with cords. I mean, when they get unplugged you end up in the dark. And after about 100 times of being told not to play with them it starts to sink in. The far bigger problem is dogs and cords. They just never learn. When it gets super cold here we use engine block heaters to keep the car engines warm enough to start. Many times one winter I went out to start the car and found that the stupid dog had not just unplugged the extension cord but had actually chewed it up. I had to keep cutting out sections that had been destroyed. And this was a live cord. Stupid dog apparently thought it was attacking him so he got into fights with it. I kept expecting to find him dead one morning but instead somebody stole him. How do I know they stole him? His 30 foot tie out chain disappeared with him. So anyway, back to your problem, keeping cords short will help but really the best thing is training children not to play with them. In the age of childproofing that is probably not the accepted advice but in reality its better to child proof the child rather than the whole world. Condition them and train them that things are dangerous and some things they need to not touch. It's better for them to know and understand that some things are dangerous and off limits not just at your house but everywhere. That is real childproofing in my opinion. I survived. Now for a true challenge, how to keep your cat from walking on your keyboard. BY the way the stuff in the picture that Canucksgirl shows looks like surface conduit. It is used in places that it is not possible to run wires in the walls. It is a little heavy duty for what you would need. There is a plastic channel stuff that is used for running network cables and phone lines. It has a sticky backing so it is really easy to stick to walls and moldings. As far as on a carpet, they have heavy rubber channeling that is made to keep people from tripping on wires. Most offices and public buildings use it. You have probably seen it hundreds of times. But all of that will not keep a child,or a baby, from playing with plugs in the wall. A slap on the hand and a no, don't touch will though.