Author Options:

How do I get a homemade vehicle registered in Ohio? Answered

I plan on building a two-seater fiat styled homemade car sometime in the future and before I start building and designing I want to know what I need to put on it to make it street legal.
I plan on using parts (for ex. the motor and drive-train) from a crashed or junked car and building the frame and such by myself. 
I included a picture of the car I'm designing from.


http://www.co.medina.oh.us/clerk/autoinfo.htm#Homemade Vehicle

Exercise caution using a crashed frame -- if it was damaged in the original crash it may not be suitable for the rest of the build (from the stress, it's no longer rated for the original safety margins). you want a car that had the interior wrecked by vandals, or the body written off in some sort of tree-fell-on-it style incident :)

Registration of a 'prototype' vehicle is usually as simple as getting it safetied (mechanic checks for sound engineering, no damaged parts etc), all lighting is adequate (headlights, tail lights, brake lights, signal lights), guages are functional (I think you only need a speedometer), and safety restraints are installed to regulation (differs by location).

Check with your insurance company as many homebuild/prototypes can be pretty expensive, and their rating is usually based on the comparable 'class' of car to what is being built.

As I said in the question, I am only using the engine and drive train, not the frame.

From all the reading I have done over the years, it is said that a truly homebuilt vehicle (no donor vehicle used) has to be up to the code that was in place for the year of the style of vehicle you are trying to make. So if you are after a 1936 Bugatti, then you have to comply with the 1936 safety rules, as a minimum. If you do that (or better) and pass a safety inspection, the DMV can issue a VIN, license, etc. to you. Then you have to go through whatever yearly inspections are required, etc.

Still, the best course of action is to contact the Ohio DMV as ork and Nacho suggest.


.  As a VERY loose rule of thumb, you want to make sure that the part of the donor vehicle you use has a VIN tag attached. Your car then becomes a 1982 Chevy Impala (or whatever the donor is).
.  But it really depends on what the laws are in Ohio. As per orksecurity's suggestion, check with your local DMV or equiv to get an authoritative answer.

Since most of us don't live in Ohio, and since what really matters is the opinion of your local Department of Motor Vehicles...

... ask your local Department of Motor Vehicles.