Author Options:

How is a toy like this called in English? Answered

How is the toy in the pictures called in English? The figures collapse or bow when a button in the base is pushed in. There's no real name for them in Dutch...

Any advice on how I should call these in my upcoming Instructable?



5 years ago

It's called a Push-Up-Puppet or Push-Up-Toy

And I think you win! Here's a confirming Web site (for the OP): http://www.pushpuppet.com/

I guess that is my one good deed for the day. Glad. To help.

Push Puppet it is! Thanks!

I think in the toy industry, they would most likely give it a specific name like Jack in the Box or Wobbles the Donkey.

You asked "How is the toy in the picture called in English?"

We English would say "WHAT do you call the toy in the picture...?"

You asked "...how should I call these...?

We would say"...WHAT should I call these...?

I think its push up puppet

Don't think of any word in French either … 

I did a Google search using different keywords, and eventually came up with this. Note in particular the "image" results partway down the page. So I think "dancing hand doll" is as good a name as any.

They don't really have a name in English, either.

Personally, I would call it a Collapsing Donkey toy.

Donkey Collapses could be the next Tarantino feature :-). I like it.