Author Options:

How to connect a solenoid valve to my water container? Answered

I have a setup in my mind, consisting of a plastic bottle(filled with water) with a male threaded neck. This bottle is sitting upside-down so the threaded neck is on the bottom. I want to transfer this water to a cup(by freefalling water) through an electrically controlled solenoid valve. The problem is, the plastic bottle I have picked out has a neck outer diameter of 1-1/2 inches, and assuming I want to directly connect the solenoid valve to the neck, I need to get a 1-1/2" diameter valve, which is above $100. Is there any way to connect this container and a valve(still not picked out) without that high a cost? Maybe a reducer of some sort(i looked but cant find any with 1-1/2" diameter on one side)? 

Thanks guys, and sorry if the question is kinda weird and simple.

For a reference, check this project. https://www.instructables.com/id/Robotic-Drink-Mixer/
What i want to do is similar,but instead of using a pump, I want the water to freefall into the cup.I'd like to eliminate the tubing too.



Best Answer 5 years ago

If you screw the valve on the bottle, it will be a pain to refill the bottle.
There is an easier way, and you will be able to use a smaller valve.

All you have to do is fill a pot with water and then fill your bottle with water.
Place the bottle of water upside down in the pot of water . As long as water
in the pot is covering the bottle's neck, water will not flow. Water will not
flow out of the bottle and cause the pot to overflow as long as there are
no other holes in the bottle besides the bottle's mouth.

Drill a hole in the bottom of the pot and mount any size valve you want there.
This is basically how a water cooler works.

Try it on a small scale if you want. Use a cup of water and a small plastic bottle.


Answer 5 years ago

Thats a pretty neat way to do it! I hadn't thought of anything like that. Thanks:)
Do you know any pre-made pots with a threaded hole at the bottom? Something looking like a funnel maybe but with a threaded end?


5 years ago

A pretty cheap option is to use something like this one with a reducer but it isn't exactly a zero pressure valve so it might not let the water flow without a little pressure behind it - http://www.electricsolenoidvalves.com/1-2-12-volt-dc-electric-plastic-solenoid-water-valve/

With a valve like this one you might be able to put a cap on your bottle and install a small barb. Just connect the tubing from the cap to the barb on the valve. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Plastic-Push-In-Connect-Solenoid-Valve-12-Volts-DC-Water-Air-12-VDC-/290996087682?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item43c0b7eb82

It might be easier if you go with a smaller diameter bottle than to try and find that 1-1/2'' reducer.


5 years ago

This Design Squad Nation animation shows how an electric current flowing in a coil produces a magnetic field. Explains how a solenoid uses a changing magnetic field to move a rod back and forth to do mechanical work, such as opening and closing a valve. For more Design Squad Nation go to http://pbskids.org/designsquad/

5 years ago

I would think a 24 VDC lawn sprinkler valve would work if you pressurize the bottle.

Sprinkler valves need an input pressure to make then work.

Then there are some 4 C battery cell really low cost ball valve water timers.