Author Options:

How to seal photos on wood? Answered

Can anyone recommend a sealant suitable for sealing photos stuck to wood? I want it to be durable and wipable (it's for a food tray). It wouldn't have to seal the wood around the photo, just on top of an A3 photo.

I *would* go down to the local DIY superstore and ask there, but a lot of their staff are monkeys, I'm sure you guys could give me a better answer :p


 I have done this a lot actually, I always use a water based polyurethane. Sand lightly between coats with a 250 or higher grit sandpaper. I use high gloss (stir gently enough not to create bubbles, but well) because I like shiny things.

Oooo. So you paint it on top of the photos? And the sandpaper doesn't obscure or frost the varnish? Might you be able to provide a link to a suitable product so that I can find it easier when I go down to the shop? *cheeky grin*

Something like this? Or would something I can paint on be better?

No, you want the stuff in a can, but not a spray can, use a brush made for acrylic paint, good and wide. At first you will see brush strokes but they will flatten out, even easier is to use a sponge bush, a 3 or 4 inch wide one. One more thing, Between coats put your brush into a ziplock baggie and put it in the fridge, that way you won't have to clean between coats. The fridge is good for a day or more even.

Thanks J! BTW the sandpaper will scare you into thinking you have wrecked the project but your next coat will go on so smooth you won't believe it and then it becomes addicting to see how many coats you can put on building up that gorgeous finnish.

wooden partition screen Room Dividers made with solid wood matte finish.wide range of design and product available in our home decor from aarsun woods.now you can visit our site.international shipping available.



There's a line of products called Mod Podge which has been pretty much the standard for doing this for forty-plus years.

The flavor you want is Hardcoat Mod Podge, it even says it's perfect for food trays.

For info:

To buy it in your area?  Visit a hardware store, a paint store, a craft supply store, or even Walmart.  One of those places will have it.

That would be perfect.  No where in the UK seems to sell that any any stockists i found for the hardcoat one are out of stock :(

glue them down to the wood, then overspray with several coats of clear acrylic or polyurethane.

Depending on the tray and what you want exactly, epoxy might do the job very nicely.  Look up how to make epoxy resin jewelry, and you'll get the idea.

Websearch "decoupage"?