Author Options:

Is a CRT monitor just any one that isn't flat, but with a bulge at the back? Answered

It would be great if it is, because I have 2 or 3 around and want to make the electric levitation device.



Best Answer 9 years ago

A CRT monitor is any display that uses a cathode ray tube to show images. This includes computer monitors, televisions and other devices, such as the viewfinders in older video cameras. Most (if not all) "bulgy" monitors are CRTs.

Thanks! Time to go break in my new electric screwdriver!

I thought you said 'sonic screwdriver' for a sec - and then thought no, thats WAY out of your time :D

True, I need to rebuilt my transporter so I can get back to Pluto. Then I'll have another one. Btw, do you know any sources of uranium?

I heard eBay sells some...

Picture 4.png

Just a word of caution. From the question, it sounds like you're not too familiar with the insides of tellys. Even if it's been turned off for ages, there can still be enough voltage stored in the tube to at least give you the fright of your life, and if you're REALLY unlucky, kill you. Connect the blade of an INSULATED screwdriver (not your nice new electric one) to a piece of wire, connect the wire to the TV chassis, and then poke the screwdriver under the plastic cover where the thick wire goes into the tube. It may make a loud CRACK!. Do this several times until all the noises have stopped, and then some more for luck.

Yeah. I already checked for the magnets though, and could'n find them :(

There'll be no BIG magnets in there. Deflection coils are used to direct the electron beam. There may be an assortment of small magnets on a plastic yoke on the tube, but they're pretty weak. If it's magnets you're after, go for some neodymium ones off eBay.