Just about done with this site Answered
This site has jumped the shark. It used to be a good place to find DIY projects of all kinds for all skill levels. Over the past few years, it has changed in the following ways.
- The majority of new instructables on the site involve elite technology - 3D printers, laser cutters, etc - that are too expensive or require a membership to Techshop or similar to have access to them. In other words, they are mildly interesting to see what's possible, but of no use to the average person.
- Many instructables are just implementations of things that can be commonly found on Pinterest and are being passed off as original ideas.
- Drug content has started showing up as instructables. While I understand that some states have legalized cannabis, not all have, and I don't want my family to be exposed to it.
- "Collections" may be useful in some cases to pull together instructables on a common theme, such as photography or boat building, but they are overused so much that they clog up everything else on the site. Again, it's an example of people posting without creating any new content.
- I'm a non-paying member of the site and the ads and other "recommended links" have started taking over everywhere.
For years I've been following the site and checking the recent instructables posts almost daily to see what's new. The site continues to meet other's needs, and that's what's important, but I'm sorry to say that it's no longer worth my time.