Author Options:

Looking for information on converting a TP 120 plug to a 3.5mm or 1/4" plug. Answered

I have a few military headsets (MSA Sordin type 75311).  These headsets come with a TP 120 plug that goes into various vehicle systems.  Ideally what I'm looking for is how to make a converter to convert these TP plugs to a mini 3.5 mm jack.  I've seen such a converter on Ebay so I know its possible.


Open up the headphones and use a meter to figure out what wire goes where. The base of the 3.5mm connector is ground, the center ring is the right and the tip is the left.

I'm actually looking to build an adapter for the tp-120 plug rather than rip the headsets apart. I think I've got it about figured out after doing a lot of scouring on the web over the last couple of days, but I need to find a source for U-92's(The female adapter for a tp-120 plug) that isn't insanely expensive.