muddywaters asked a question seeking cheap, possibly DIY, home building. There are lots of great answers to that post; some of the most interesting mentioning prefab and shipping container structures.
I recently had reason to read Phoenix, AZ's main newspaper, which had an article entitled “Rehabbing PreFab”, discussing a local project at Taliesin West architecture school. Students are exploring the PreFabricated homes, with Modern architecture styling. Definitely a new take on PreFab. Exciting work, particularly the shipping container mod-mods.
Doing a quick search turns up the website busyboo which has many articles regarding contemporary exploration of highly artistic PreFab units. The price of these designs is quite different from traditional prefab homes, partly a reflection of the limited market and partly the cache styling.
What do y'all think? Borrowing design ideas from these MODpreFAB companies, perhaps a DIY opportunity!
$$$ Only fools buy retail
$ Those who can, DIY!
The Arizona Republic article mentions the following companies experimenting with MODpreFAB:
(Reproduced from print edition)
- ASUL: Phoenix AZ company that sells kits for onsite assembly (~$100/sq ft.) asul.us
- Hive Modular: Minneapolis, MN company rpoducing affordable modern homes. hivemodular.com
- Kithaus: California company offering small, connectable components ($25,000+ / 100 sq ft) kithaus.com
- LivingHomes: California developer (~$230 / sq ft) livinghomes.net
- Marmol Radziner: Los Angeles, CA company builds in factory with most appliances installed, then breaks apart sections for shipping (~$200 - $300 / sq ft) marmolradzinerprefab.com
- Method Homes: Seattle, WA company offering energy efficient prefabs (~$160+ / sq ft) methodhomes.net
- mkDesigns: Based on Instructables member! Michelle Kaufman design ($360,000) mkd-arc.com
- Mod Box: Phoenix, AZ project designed 10 ft sq cube space (~$35 - $60k / cube) v100modbox.com
- Modern Cabana: San Francisco, CA company building small, green component rooms (~$20,000 / unit + shipping and handling...) moderncabana.com
- Modern Shed: Seattle, WA company selling rectangular spaces ($11.2 – 81k) modern-shed.com
- Mod.Fab: Scottsdale, AZ project exploring a cool, transportable home (~$120k / 432 sq ft) taliesin.edu/pages/MODFAB.htm
- Rocio Romero: Missouri based designer of kit homes, some assembly required ($24,950 / 625 sq ft) rocioromero.com
- Upcycle Living: Phoenix, AZ company repurposing shipping containers into ModFab components ($100+ / sq ft) upcycleliving.com
- weeHouse: Minneapolis, MN company creating factory made, small homes (~$79k / 435 sq ft) weehouse.com