Author Options:

Metal on Metal Glue Answered

Is there such a thing? What's it called?


JB WELD!!!!! Or JB qwick (I think that's how they spell it). Qwick is ready to go in 5 minutes - but has slightly less holding power.

Plus, JB has holding power in the Kpsi range and works in moderate temps (I think less than 500 or 600F).

Here's a tip though.... it won't work well on small surface areas for some reason. It needs a decent sized surface ;) I'm also not sure how well it works with vibration :/ And I will attest to it's holding power -- it held together the UCF HPV in '05 after some surgery between races :P

JB WELD IS GOD!!! that's some of the best stuff i've ever seen...it's got good holding power as far as "pulling" forces (think gluing two peices together and pulling straight apart) and really good shear strenght (think gluing two peices together and twisting them apart)...i don't have welding equipment or a place to weld...so sometimes i use JB to glue projects together that i would normally prefer to weld...so far none have come apart

From their website it looks good, how much do the tubes cost? I didn't see a price. And how much space exactly does it need? I need it for a monopod I made..

You can get them at hardware stores and auto repair stores ;) They cost around $5 or so. You should be fine just as long as you're not trying to glue together something like a fan pull cord :P

actually there is something that works.... its called solder

Solder's fine when you're working with copper to copper or small jewelry. Not so when working with larger/thicker and dissimilar metals. Sometimes welding is a good solution. Sometimes the right adhesive will do the trick.

Brazing is the mega-sized version of soldering used for attaching large pieces of metal that can't be easily welded. I don't do brazing, though I think I probably have the materials/tools, but basically you melt brass or copper rods to form a free-flowing liquid that bonds the workpieces when it cools and hardens. It is often used on bike frames that use thin-walled tubing that is difficult to weld.

I know that soldering is available, but i don't want to solder what I'm doing now, which is why I asked about glue.

depends on what you need it for. there is a difference between a rigid connection like epoxy/JB weld or solder/silver solder and a more flexible glue like contact cements or silicone/rtv adhesives. Temperature changes can make a big difference in which glue to use, if a rigid glue doesn't react the same as the metals or if the metals react differently it will eventually fail. clean surfaces are very important. any kind of oil or dirt will prevent the glues from sticking.

Yes. It's called glue. There are many industrial adhesives that can glue things like this. For example, some cars and aircraft are largely held together with glue. There are multiple bridges with glue. However, I don't know what it's called or how to get it commercially.

Do you just mean something to glue one piece of metal to another piece of metal? If so there is lots of stuff out there. Try 5 minute epoxy for some serious sticking power