Author Options:

Moisture between glass windows? Answered

Any ideas to dry out the moisture between double glass window? 


Inexpensive thermal panes and older ones lose their seal and allow moist air in them.

Basically they are 2 panes of glass with a sealed spacer and inert gas between them.

3 cures

1 Disassemble clean reassemble and replace inert gas. Not easy to do.

2 Buy new thermal panes. Easier to do but not that cheap.

3 Vent the thermal panes so the moist air can cycle out. This is the cheapest in the short run, it is a bit of work, and you loose some of the insulation value of the thermal pane. But if you plan to sell the house or just need time to afford new windows it works.

Take the thermal panes out of the window frame.

Measure the spacers between the panes of glass, should be 1/2 inch.

With a 3/8 drill bit, drill four holes in the spacers between the panes 2 on top of the thermal pane and two on the bottom. Be careful not to hit the glass with the drill bit, best to make a pilot hole first. DO NOT DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE SPACER.

If the spacer has solid foam in them continue drilling. If the spacers have little balls of foam in them. Ether take all the balls of foam out of the spacer or put a 3/8 liner in the hole to keep the balls of foam in place and use a smaller drill bit to continue drilling.

Drill corresponding holes in the window frame and put the thermal pains back in the window frame. This can be a bit of a challenge if the frame is plastic or aluminum.

Had a look today at the home depot for some cheaper double glazed windows.
The ones here are on both sides of an aluminium frame and sealed with a rubber strip all around.
But most of them had two little holes in the frame that were sealed with silicone.
I suspect these holes are used to remove the moisture during manufacturing.
If you are lucky you can get the actual window out of the frame, check and seal it and use those holes to blow air through.
Perferably with an aquarium air pump and a jar filled with dessicant stuff like silica gel.

You have a structural problem as said the gas in between the panes should be sealed in. A double glazing manufacturer will sell you a new pane or just possibly may be able to restore the old.

You don't as they are meant to be fully sealed.
If you get moisture between the panes it means the seal is crap somewhere.
Only real option is to remove one pane on a very dry day and to propely seal everything when putting it back in.