Author Options:

Momentary switches used in mice Answered

I'm going to make a custom guitar hero controller for myself, and i want to mod the buttons so that they don't requite so much travel, and they're more.. snappy, if you get what I'm saying. The switches in mice are perfect, but I don't have enough mice to dissect to get enough buttons. I also found that some of the switches are DPDT, which are perfect for throwing in some LEDs... Anyways, my question is where can I get some DPDT switches from mice, without bulk ordering on ebay? And are there specific names for those switches?


you could go to a thrift store, they usually have tons of mice

Definitely a good idea. My local 'Dollar Tree' has ps/2 mice for (obviously) one dollar.

Contact school computing departments - ours chucks out about 40 mice a year, bigger schools will go through more.

I recently disected a mouse, and i believe that switch looked like a brain...... but i all seriousness, it was a tact switch in mine. my mouse had the buttons actually connected to the top plate of the mouse, but i don't know if others have some sort of spring in them..

hehe..I was expecting this to be an article about switches put in mice..as in mouse. =]

Check out garage sales..you can probably find a few mice for cheap - nothing.

. They are commonly called microswitches, although this is a Honeywell trademark. Kinda like some ppl calling all refrigerators Frigidaires. Use your favorite search engine.