Author Options:

My passport is expired, can i still get a driving permit? Answered

I'm foreign, and my passport expired when i turned 16....
and my birth certificate is in Russian..

so can i use the expired passport or Russian birth certificate to obtain my permit?


help me and i'll reward you with over 9000 internets


you should be able to find some documents that they will accept.  it is amazing how many different types of documents they will take at the dmv.  their website would probably be pretty helpful if you didnt want to stand in line and wait to get the info.  good luck!  www.uspassportnow.com


8 years ago

Go to the California DMV page:

Scroll down about 2/3 of the page and you will find the requirements for legal presence to obtain a driver's license.

 Look under the section titled:
Birth date verification and legal presence requirements

I was really surprised at all the wide various of docs they'll take.

Back when I was young, (and we walked uphill both ways to school...in the rain...) they only  took a birth certificate or passport.

I shouldn't think that the passport is necessary, see the DMV page like mike' suggests.


Dude, I don't even live in California I found the DMV website, are you kidding me?

Looks like your internets license just got revoked.