Author Options:

Please help me identify this tool? Answered

This is driving me insane, please help me identify this tool!  We found this tool in my father workshops and we have no clue what it is. 


as others have said, I would go with a bore gauge that you might set at a max wear limit and see if it goes in the bore, or one that you put in, adjust and then remove for measurement.


1 year ago

A special ten of a kind machinist tool for some type of go/no-go..

Based on the numbers stamped on the 5 of the inserts which attach to the axle bar and one extender rod..

There is also the means for sliding the rotator cross_rod on the vertical axle bar.

Finally the touch points on the 5 inserts do not show sliding wear at all.

Any better will come from someone who saw this in use

Thank you very much for your reply!

My uncle had a quite similar looking tool that I never saw in use.
When I asked him about he said it is to work on the cylinders of some old diesel engine.
Apperearently used to remove and replace the sleeves in the cylinders.
Instead of this drill chuck like end on his was a locking system to grab the sleeve for removal.
The thicker handle "balloon" was used a hammer on the rod to assist the removal.
But yours looks different in several areas :(