363Views8Replies

Author Options:

S.O.S !!! OVERDOSE OF K.M.S IN WINE Answered


i have added excess potassium meta bisulphite in my wine. i'm afraid i will screw the entire 3 litre batch. please help me to avert this disaster!!! PLEASE!!! :,-(

here is the volume i added.
7ml of 9% K.M.S soln. ( 13g in 150 ml of water) in 3 litres of wine.

S.O.S
S.O.S
S.O.S   :-P

Regards,
Chakra

Discussions

0
None
Kiteman

7 years ago

Daft question - what effects are we trying to counter? What does the KMS do to the wine?

0
None
GoodhartKiteman

Reply 7 years ago

K.M.S. or potassium meta bisulphite

It is used as a food additive, also known as E224. It is restricted in use and may cause severe allergic reactions in sensitive persons.

This both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing, and it acts as a potent antioxidant, protecting both the color and delicate flavors of wine.

3. Hazards Identification
Emergency Overview
--------------------------
WARNING! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED in concentrated form. MAY CAUSE ALLERGIC REACTION. MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES, AND RESPIRATORY TRACT.
Hazardous Decomposition Products:
Reaction with acids may release sulfur dioxide.

0
None
chakraGoodhart

Reply 7 years ago

yes yes yes!!! i open the bottle and it smells like if the Devil burnt sulphur inside!!

any remedies??

0
None
jledesma1chakra

Reply 7 years ago

You have to oxidize it : Use a drop (just a drop) of hydrogen peroxide ina 20 volumes concentration, shake vigorously and taste after 3 minutes. If its necessary add another drop. Be careful, you can destroy your wine.
Another way its heat your wine at 40 degrees and let the suphur gone, but it can ruin the flavour, test it.

Cheers

0
None
chakrajledesma1

Reply 7 years ago

thanks a lot!! you are a life saver!!
by hydrogen peroxide, did u mean the medical one or even a cosmetic solution will do??

0
None
jledesma1chakra

Reply 7 years ago

has to be medical, and only H2O2, woithout any other compund

0
None
Goodhartchakra

Reply 7 years ago

I haven't found any so far, sorry

0
None
Mr. E Meat

7 years ago

I haven't used potassium meta bisulphite in my wine for a while, but when sterilizing must, I believe that it evaporates/dissipates to a level that the yeast can survive. You may be able to leave your wine open to the air until it is not noticeable but with the amount that you added, I'd probably just throw it out....