Author Options:

Straight line art - what is the technical name? Answered

I remember back in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and I believe even 5th grade, when I was in a gifted program, we had to draw. We drew only straight lines, and when we did it right, it made a curve. We would get a paper with 2 lines, connected at a vertex, at a 90 degree angle. We would draw points every centimeter or so, and connect the points, far to close, far to close. (It's hard to explain.) I'm searching for it on the Internet, but I can't seem to find the right word. Does anyone know it? Thanks, and if it turns out all good, expect an Instructable on it mid- to late October.


filography , symmography ... both are terms related to your drawing

I don't know what the construction is called, but you are drawing tangent lines to a hyperbola. One of the formulae for a hyperbola is y=1/x. I think the lines you are drawing have coordinates (y, 1/x). Sorry, I don't think this is much help.

OHHHH- we JUST did this. Mine was AWESOME, and we used thread through card-stock paper. Oh, and it's called curve stitching, or that's what we called it. I'll post a picture of it when I get it back, probably tomorrow.

Maybe you could get in contact with your Gifted teacher?

It is the basis for many Calculus rules ;-)

i dont know what it is called but i use it for line rider

Try Googling "string art." We did it in our 8th grade geometry class, and we selected a large card that was black on one side and had a network of numbered dots on the back. We then selected a contrasting thread (e.g., light blue, pink, yellow, lime green), and used a needle to thread it through the holes in a certain order. By using different points in different order, you could make relatively simple curves, or incredibly complex compound curves. It's not quite what you're looking for, but you can probably get some ideas.

. I've seen what you are talking about, but I don't know what it's called. You may be able to get a lead by searching for spirograph, but that's a long-shot.
. For computer displays, I think it's called vector graphics - maybe that will turn up something that will lead you in the right direction.
. I'll guess that this is a "practical" application of some math function, but have no idea what it might be called.

a curve? idk