88Views15Replies

Author Options:

This normal? Answered

I just got into soldering, and I've been haveing a very bad problem of burning myself. Within the first 10 minutes of using it, I accidently touched the tip of the iron to my finger, and it HURT! And then jsut now, I was soldering, and my mom called me, so I kinda of jumped, brushing my finger against the newly melted solder. Is this normal for beginners?

Discussions

0
None
caitlinsdad

9 years ago

Oooooo, I think you have the qualifications to be the lead for the explosive ordnance disposal squad. Remember, always the red wire first.

0
None
wolf555houndcaitlinsdad

Reply 9 years ago

ohhhhhh, thats why I got fired form the bomb squad..... I jut threw a rock at it....

0
None
Doctor What

9 years ago

Well, considering I've stepped on a soldering iron, burned my leg, and burned my hand so many times I cannot count... Yes, you have a problem, and you need counseling.

0
None
Doctor WhatDoctor What

Reply 9 years ago

Did I spell counsiling wrong? Or did I just now? It wasn't in the dictionary! AAARRGGGHHH.

0
None
Doctor WhatDoctor What

Reply 9 years ago

The dictionary meaning the check spelling button. It told me consoling instead.

0
None
Tool Using Animal

9 years ago

Yes, and the next step is to drop a blob of molten solder on your .... Well why spoil the surprise?

0
None

im guessing the pants area? I already droped a sparkler on my leg that burnt through my pants, and droppingthe sparks my shoe. Maybe I should stay away from very hot things.....

0
None
Lithium Rain

9 years ago

No. You're a hopeless freak of nature. You're not normal, and you can never be normal. Sorry to have to be the one to tell you.

0
None
Lithium RainNachoMahma

Reply 9 years ago

Haha, that's awesome. :'D Sage advice intermingled with utter nonsense - I love it! "You have no right to be here" How very true...

0
None
beado4ever

9 years ago

Not only is it normal but its probably required for first timers. I still proudly show the next generation of my household my 'solder scars'

0
None
NachoMahma

9 years ago

. You can use hemostats or small pliers to keeps body parts away from the heat, but, if you play with fire, you will eventually get burnt. If it becomes a problem, you may want to re-examine your soldering procedures.

0
None
lemonie

9 years ago

Yes.
You should be at least half way to learning how not to burn yourself by now.

L

0
None
Kiteman

9 years ago

Totally normal, even for experienced solderers.