Author Options:

Traditional pump car lever mechanism Answered

Does anyone know how the lever mechanism of a traditional pump car work? I'm thinking of building a miniature model but I can't find any design schematics for it. Thank you.


. I think what you are talking about (manual railroad "truck"), uses a rod from the "see-saw" to an offset on the axle. Kinda like a one-cylinder car engine, with the see-saw replacing the piston. A "real" one may have a transmission, &c;, but that's the basic principle.

The "see-saw" rocker arm has a rod that goes down to a cranked axle that has a large gear wheel. It meshes with a smaller gear that turns the axle. The drive wheels turn faster than the gear that the "see-saw" is connected to.

And a clutch mechanism if I'm not mistaken

Thank you to everyone who responded, I'm continuing my online research and hope to build my own handcar/pump car real soon!

This Miller's ratchet is one way to drive a flywheel, and if you had a centrifugal shifting mechanism, it would be easier to start in a "lower gear" to get it started.

. That should make a very interesting iBle.

That's great, I was always curious as to how they worked.

Oh, and I simply loved this line from your Link:

Here is a close up view of the brake rigging. It is very simple and made up of about 60 pieces.

It is very simple and made up of about 60 pieces.

That looks like it's counting fasteners ;) I mean, if you have 4 bolts, with two washers a nut and a jamb nut each -- that's 20 pieces right there :p

Ok, but if they meant =60 major pieces= we are looking at something a wee bit more complex then I care to tackle, considering that is only the brake. :-)

Wow ... Thanks Kiteman (and Pinoymale) ! I've been looking for the name of this machine for years ... (and I don't even remember why, now). So, this thing is called "Handcar" (US), or "pump trolley" (UK) ... Now, I just need to find how it's called in my language ...