Author Options:

Vacuum Tubes Answered

What kind of vacuum tubes are these? What can they be used for, etc? I found them from an 80's TV.


They look like neon lamps to me, and possibly a high voltage limiter.

Neon's are high voltage discharge tubes, and will light up, drawing a small current. They need a current limiting resistor.

Probably high voltage limiters... they weren't near the front in view

There were also some very clever tricks pulled with neons as active devices in the circuits of the set. The details elude me.


7 years ago

Could also be argon lamps are blue, neon is red-ish.