Author Options:

Voltage conversion for halogen bulbs Answered

I need to convert 120v to 12v to power four 12v 20W halogen bulbs. What type of converter do I need, and with what specifications? Where could I find one. Is it possible to dim the bulbs?


I'd suggest checking your local home improvement shop / lighting showroom for a track lighting transformer. They are built for exactly this purpose, and every one I've ever installed has been dimmable using a standard wall rheostat.

Your profile doesn't say where you are in the world, so I can't give specific help - that's why the field is in your profile.

You buy an off-the-shelf Halogen lamp transformer from any electrical stockists. Walmart in the US, Maplin in the UK.  are examples.