3857Views7Replies

Author Options:

Wet DS lite now won't power on? Answered

My daughter found out the hard way that her trunk leaked and the result was a soaked DS lite in the case. When she opened the DS apparently she had left it on and had problems getting it to power off, but finally got it to power off so she could remove the games, etc. and allow it to dry out. Now after waiting a day for it to dry it will not power back on, no response at all when you try to turn it on. When you connect to the charger you get an orange light. What's the most likely problem... a dead pcb or fuse?

Discussions

0
None
frollard

9 years ago

a day is not NEARLY enough time to dry out. Take out the battery and let it dry at least a week with a fan blowing on it. other optional step - wrap it in a layer of paper towel, then bury it in a dissecant - rice works really well for this. only power it on after it has really and truly dried. any short circuits inside will damage it possibly permanently.

0
None
shedav62frollard

Answer 8 years ago

Hi, I never got notified that someone ever replied... Anyway, it's been months since I posted this and the thing never came back on, even after letting it dry for several weeks.  If it did short circuit, would replacing the pcb fix it?  I was able to take apart my son's ds and fix a broken hinge (amid mild cursing), would I be able to replace the pcb or should I just send it in and have it repaired?

0
None
frollardshedav62

Answer 8 years ago

Heh, no problem - you can check on your account "replies to my comments" - that way I keep up with when I have messages to me.

If it still doesnt work without a lot of drying out, it may be permanently damaged :(.  Like I said, having power applied while there is a short causes parts to burn out as they are essentially not hooked up properly.  Sending it in for repair would likely end up costing more than a new ds.

0
None
mman1506

9 years ago

use rice or silca gel packets or stick it in the freezer or put it in the stove

0
None
mweston

9 years ago

This seems to work with a lot of different wet electronics, take a panel off the DS, which might require a special screwdriver (and if you don't want to buy the screwdriver just don't worry about disassembling it). After that you just put in in a tub of rice for 3+ days. The idea behind it is that the rice absorbs all of the moisture in it. It saved both my old iPod and my dads cellphone. Remember to take the battery out, but still put both in the rice just to be safe.

0
None
lemonie

9 years ago

It's probably still damp inside. Take the case apart and put it somewhere warm & dry for another day. Then see if it's still not working. L

0
None
fwjs28

9 years ago

i wonder if the thing could be dead....hrmmmmmm......short circuit?......dead battery?......i wonder........