Author Options:

What do we call ourselves? Answered

We need a term for members of the Instructables community. En'iblers? Instructablists? Any other suggestions?


Geek, dork and loser I've been called. And then in the next breath they ask "How do I fix this?", or "Why does such and such?". I guess they're just jealous.

I used to dream of being called a nerd. I never got that high in the food chain.

I dream of not being called a nerd. But everyone still wants stuff fixed, un-broken, etc :(

Instructablers, but more commonly known as makers and DIY'ers to the rest of the world.

DIY in the UK seems to only cover working on your house and garden.

Except in a narrow community, I don't think you'd describe yourself as a "maker" and be understood.

Hmm... good point. What's your suggestion?

Amongst friends I'm nothing special, just the guy who fixes stuff (for a small free).

In British culture, MAKING things has always been rather frowned upon, believe it or not -despite the best efforts of people like Ruskin and Morris, there is also an attitude that you only make it yourself if you can't afford to buy it from somewhere . Anyone can call themselves an Engineer, and so the guy who fixes your car is an "Engineer", as is the guy who mends the washing machine. Steve

Engineer does sound very upper class... I can't wait for the next Great Depression, every one will make stuff again!

Actually, I usually call myself "cat", but I don't think that's what you were looking for either.

...So long as they're not British risk-takers....

I call myself a DIY'er When they ask where I learn/share most of my stuff: I just go instructables.com a little slice of heaven for a DIY'er

I just say "[member[s] of] the Instructables community" or "folks on Instructables". Not what you're looking for, I know.

I would say Instructable-ites, but I second Kelsey's answer. Makers.

I think we're called 'Iblers, as we often create 'Ibles.