Author Options:

What polymer is used for this frame? Answered

i've seen a photo of these frames on a social network and i was wondering...
Which polymer is used for these frames?
Do you see this trasparent thing that hold the stickboy or the squares of the card or the inside of the egg? like something that is popping out of the frame...
i was thinking... i can put this frame orizontall... then i can put a surface of this polymer on it and i put inside of it an object... this will be taked down by the gravity and at a certain point it will stop by the flexibility limit of the polymer... and when the polymer is dry i can move it without particular problems...
i think this may be a good way to recreate this frames... but i don't know which polymer they used for these ones.


Those are likely made using a vacuum former using anything from acrylic, plexi glass, lexan, polycarbonate, polystyrene and any other thin plastic you can get that can be heated and molded. Chances are the above images use polycarbonate. You can find all sorts of instructables for making your own vacuum former.

+1 they may just be heated and pulled out. They are a bit deep to vacuum form. Neat though.

Even thin acetate will work if the load isn't high and a LOT cheaper then Polycarbonate.

is this it? i never heard of the word "acetate"...
The load should be really lite, the biggest problem is that i don't have much of a budget... i can use an hair drier, the oven, etc...
i can't get myself the material to create a vacuum machine!! it will be easier to go to the laboratory of my university and create it there!! XD but they'll never allow me to do such a thing.

so, if I get it right... with the acetate i can create this forms without vacuum, just heating the acetate, isn't it?

Acetate is a transparent milky white material. Its not very clear and won't work well in this sort of application. Polycarbonate is cheap and you'll be able to get it thin enough that a hair dryer or oven can heat it up enough to be pressed over an object.

I figure those are vacuum formed because the plastic is sucked in around the little man in the first image. The pieces could be easily mounted on a stick and the plastic pressed over them and the vacuum turned on just long enough to suck it down to the point you want it to be at. But these could easily be done without a vacuum. But you would be better off using a heat gun rather than a hair dryer. It will heat faster and hotter allowing you more time to work with the material.

mmm... i'll look for both the materials...
But I was thinking about a solution like this: (look at the attached image)
I apologise for the quality of the design... but...
I can take a frame (or something with the same size of the inside)
then the polymer i'll gonna use, a template and then the shape i want the polymer to sustain... i'll place the pieces all together and then i'll put them in the oven... heating them i should obtain the right form...
hoping not to break the polymer, i can make this with great caution... the size of the shape will pull the polymer down with a shape really similar to the one in the image...
This was the general idea.


That will work perfectly. Just heat it slowly and don't get it too hot.

Acetate is the type of plastic used for overhead projection sheets - It can be coloured but can be glass clear. it's a bit softer then Polycarbonate and has a lower melting point.

A school or university should have plenty.

i'll try to steal some at my university then, if they've planty of them they can give me some considering the ammount of taxes i pay every here!! XD