1418Views37Replies

Author Options:

bleeding Answered

i have a problem - the tip of my scissor cut my finger, and it won't stop bleeding. i've had constant pressure on it for twenty minutes, and i used a styptic (sorry, can't spell it right) pencil. what can i do to get it to stop bleeding?

Discussions

If you are really desperate you could try cauterizing the cut, and the apply honey to help the burn heal faster.

well, not this time - it wasn't bad enough, although one time i stepped on a nail, and it went through the webbing of my toes, and i cauterized it. but, don't do that, because it looks nasty and hurts to walk

stepping on a nail should be instant call to get a tetanus shot if you haven't had one in awhile.

well, i don't believe in going to the hospital or doctor if i'm not on the brink of death. also, it was five years ago, and it was a brand new nail.

Well, the thing about lockjaw, once it progresses to the point when you start feeling symptoms, it may be too late to reverse. This is why hunting and eating mushrooms is so very dangerous. Many times one may feel a little ill after eating a poisonous one, but then it gets better. By the time you feel the symptoms again, you organs have begun to fail, and it is probably too late to do anything. Heart attacks (something you shouldn't need to worry about for awhile) are like that too. For minor illnesses and being "sick", I agree. I normally don't go to the doc who will then just say to me, "you know, you're sick. Go home and get some rest." :-)

brand new or rusty doesn't matter, tetanus can live on either, it may be more numerous on the rusty nail.... Yeah if it was 5 years ago, there is no need to worry about it now, I just meant for the future. A deep cut or especially a deep puncture (harder to clean, harder for the blood to flow to self clean) can push tetanus from off your skin into the wound for that matter. They say it is best to get the tetanus shot periodically (maximum of 10 years apart; but 5 years is recommended). Not meaning to alarm you or anything, here are a few things about tetanus: Tetanus is a disease caused by a toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium tetani. The toxin affects the central nervous system, sometimes resulting in death. Spores of the bacterium Clostridium tetani are found in soil and dust. Tetanus occurs when these spores enter the body through a break in the skin, particularly in the case of puncture wounds caused by nails, splinters, insect bites or gunshots. Bites and scratches from animals such as dogs and cats can also result in tetanus. Once in the body, the spores germinate, releasing active bacteria that multiply and produce neurotoxin. The bacteria stay at the site of inoculation, but the toxin can spread through the body. This toxin causes uncontrollable contraction of muscles, resulting in severe muscle spasms. Uncorrected episodes of hypoxia (lack of oxygen) caused by muscle spasms in the larynx (throat) may lead to irreversible brain damage.

The 'rusty nail' thing is a holdover from agricultural days. It wasn't the rust, rather the general dirty conditions you find on a farm. A rusty nail isn't anymore likely to transmit Tetanus (if it's an 'inside' nail in a suburban environment) than a cut from a pocket knife. But it's possible to contract Tetanus from the knife, of course. Everyone should have up-to-date shots...

Something I just read recently, that many germs and virus' have a shorter life span on "metals" then on other materials (they are more numerous on your hands then on the coins you handle, but just as numerous on the paper money).

sounds something like the parasite in "Alien"(minus the bursting chests)

This is why hunting and eating mushrooms is so very dangerous.

Especially when done at the same time... ;-)

there is one mushroom, I forget the name of it, but I know it hasn't been successfully cultivated, ever....that is impossible to mistake for a poisonous one, since nothing looks like it; and delicious......sadly, I don't see many of them in my area.

I've spent some time in the woods...but never been brave enough to pick and eat mushrooms. I expect it's because I was warned repeatedly not to, as a child. I have some British-expatriate friends who do this all the time, however.

i once cut my thumb allmost to the center of it with sharp knife (i was cutting something hard and it broke and the knife hit the thumb with force). i matched the sides of the cut the natural way and pressed hard. it is ok today and allmost no scar so if you have a cut be sure to match the sides perfectly and press so there is no way for blood to escape in large quantities you should feel wnen its ok to release. you can press it again later but do not stress or disturb the place

Please try not to bump up older topics. Thanks.

I have nothing, hope you feel better soon though

clean it with rubbing alcohol and put a drop of super glue on it spread it over and it will close it. oh yeah use spell checker

will hot glue work? what about gorilla glue?

super glue is best, hot glue might work but it peels off easily and gorilla glue might be too toxic to be that close to a wound

Super glue marketed as 'Krazy Glue" is the closest to the medical variety...

OMG.... nooooooo ..... don't put anything on it. it needs to clot.... I can't believe people still suggest butting foriegn objects in wounds. I'm sure it stopped by now...and or you've already put stuff in it. but for future reference... just use a band aid, or steril cloth. don't wipe it or apply pressure (pressure for bigger wounds for sure) and leave it alone... if you arn't clotting after leaving it alone to clot you need to see your doctor for clotting problems

I should have mentioned that using a small amount of super glue is only marginally acceptable for closing a cut; never for covering or encapsulating an open wound....

your still exposing a chemical to your blood stream... I say no amount of super glue on an open wound is acceptable.

In that case, no water, food, or blood, for that matter, for you. Super glue is used professionally, its non-toxic. They use it more for internal "wounds", say after surgery.

super glue is not very good at filling gaps. It is best to use in the place of stitches IF a wound could be stitched. If it is open, it is not of much help.

Don't go to the emergency room in any hospital then.

I can say I've done it personally (repairing a torn 'flapper' when climbing), but maybe that explains a lot... :-|.... (emoticon, with drool)

dont put gorrila glue on it.
a)it takes 24 hours to fully dry
b)it expands 3 times its wet size, so imagine what would happen if you got that in your finger...

dont put hot glue on it either.

if i were you i wouldnt put anything on it, just wrap it up in a dishtowel and goto sleep or something lol

Hot glue might be... well... hot...

if its just a slight cut, like one youd get checking your blood sugar, dont apply pressure just wipe the blood away and put on a bandaid, pressure will force the wound open. the less you touch it after cleanup the faster it will heal

0
user
sugg22

10 years ago

i got it to stop bleeding, a different way than any of you suggested, but i used parts of jessyratfink's solution, and noblevagrant's solution. here it is - 1) cover area in tissue/toilet paper. Hold for ten minutes. 2) Try a styptic pencil every ten minutes. 3) Soak a tissue in hydrogen peroxide, and wrap around the cut. 4) Wrap area tightly in tissue paper again, but this time tightly wrap a rubber band around the tissue. Hold for at least fifteen minutes. 5) Take off tissue, apply Campho Phenique (or other similar topical ointment) and then apply styptic pencil again.

Make sure you're holding your hand above your heart and keeping pressure on it. That's normally the best way to slow bleeding.

Pile absorbent disposable sheeting (Kleenex, tp etc..) on and bandage, you got a let it clot. Don't take off bandage until tomorrow.