Author Options:

can i convert stereo speakers for my computer? Answered

i would like to know if there is a way to convert stereo speakers so i may use them (connect them) to my computer? the ends that u would plug into (stereo/computer) are different.


Yes, but...

Yes, it's easy to do this. The standard stereo "phone plug" has three contacts, known as Tip, Ring, and Sleeve. Tip is the very tip of the plug; ring is the piece just behind the tip, and Sleeve is the rest of the plug's body. By convention in his sort of headphone/line-out connection, Sleeve is a common ground -- so one speaker connects between tip and sleeve, and the other between ring and sleeve. Make sure that sleeve is connected on the same side of both speakers, so they're in phase with each other. Eight-ohm speakers should be safe for connection to this output.

But... They won't generate much volume, since they're meant to be driven by a much heftier amplifier. So a better solution is to get yourself an amplifier, hook the speakers to that, and hook the PC's output to an "aux in" or "tape in" connection on that amp. Lots of amplifier plans have been posted here on Instructables, but in my experience older home-stereo amplifiers can often be had for the effort of hauling them away, and they'll probably give you better quality sound. Cables for going from the phone connector to a stereo system's "phono connector" inputs are available for around $8 from most places that sell stereo components, including R*d** Sh*ck. If you need to wire up your own, it's basically the same as the speakers -- Sleeve (ground) goes to the outer connector on both phone connectors, Tip goes to the center connector on one and Ring goes to the center connector on the other.

In case it isn't obvious, that's the approach I've generally taken (though the machine I'm typing on right now is currently connected to a pair of self-amplified speakers).

One warning: Normal stereo speakers should NOT be put too close to a CRT display. They have strong magnets, which can warp the image, may throw the display out of alignment until it gets degaussed, and in extreme cases (if you really insist on putting a strong magnet right up to the face of the CRT) may cause permanent damage. PC speakers have a layer of shielding inside them which isolates the magnets so they don't cause this problem. If you must crowd things together, it may be possible to use a sheet of steel (a steel baking sheet?) on each side to provide some magnetic shielding. Note that if you're using an LCD display this issue probably doesn't arise. I'm not 100% certain about plasma screens.

Hope that helps.

Ammendum. If going that route, remember that the tip is the left channel and the ring is the right channel. Just in case you want to know.

Yep. On the splitter cable I used to use, the left channel came out as a black wire and the right as red -- leading to the mnemonic "red, ring, right.".

I'm useing two 50 watt speakers on mycomputer with a amplifier