Author Options:

capacitor help Answered

Hey everyone i was wondering if someone could help me, I have a capacitor row (as shown below) and i was wondering what i could do to make it a shocker type thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.


It all depends on the capacitance of the set of capacitors. It also depends on the voltage of the capacitors. You want to make a "Shocker?" Try charging a automobile condenser.

Try charging a automobile condenser.

Strange, I don't know that that is...Is it the AC condenser?

No. On older, non-electronic distributors, when you replaced the points and rotor, you also replaced a component that looks like a can with one back wire coming out the top. This is called a Condenser, but is actually a rather large paper capacitor. The can is usually wrapped with a clamp that lets you bolt it to the distributor's frame. Back in high-school (early 70's), we would remove the clamp portion of it, strip the black insulation from the wire (all of it) and tin the wire with solder. This made it look kind of like a silver firecracker. We would then charge it with 120v DC (plus on wire, minus on can) and carefully set it on someone's desk. The natural inclination is to pick it up and grab the wire (I don't know why though!). When this is done, the victim gets quite a jolt. I never saw it hurt anyone.

There is a straight line tool in MS Paint y'know. Search instructables for 'Tazer' L