Author Options:

how do you build a decibel meter? Answered



Whatr kind of range ? A VU meter is a "decibel meter".


Google and Wikipedia can both tell you. They can also tell you how you could build a sound-level meter (as Jack has already pointed out).

It would be useful, as Steve has noted, for you to state the problem you are trying to solve, rather than asking how to build what might or might not be the correct solution to that problem.

I am guessing you want to measure the intensity of sound, in air, and that you want to build some apparatus to do this.  Another guess is that the usual way this is done is by way of a transducer (e.g. electret microphone), followed by an amplifier, followed by some sort of power measuring circuit.  The following search might return something you can use.