Author Options:

how to integrate a microcontroller with either a CT or a power meter to read values for automation Answered

Working with either an LPC 2129 or an 8051 microcontroller, is there a way to make get inputs from either a CT or power meter? 


Yes, of course there is. You need an A/D converter and an interface.


hello steve, what type of interface? and the A/D converter connects the CT to the microcontroller?

Do you want a real CT or a Hall sensor ? for amateur stuff, I'd stick with Hall.

Pick a sensor.

You get AC off the sensor which needs to be rectified. Look for a "perfect rectifier" circuit, using an op-amp. Take THAT into an RC filter, for mean measurements, or straight into the ADC for clever stuff, where you integrate it numerically.