0LRamsey 8 years ago ReplyUpvoteI made 3 "outfits" that were worn layered by the 2nd grader. All were made from fabric cut about the length from the student's neck to her ankles, I think about 49". I just seemed up the selvage most of the way, turning the rest of the seam under to finish for an opeining, put casings at the top and bottom and inserted 45" shoestrings so they could be drawn up around their nect, and a little at the bottom, though they can't walk very well if the bottom is drawn too much, and cut pretty long slits in the sides and turned under to finish for armholes. The top layer was the caterpillar, made out of a pretty bright green light print. I happened to find some black dresses on sale for $3 at Wal-Mart that had skirts made of 4 sheer ruffles. I cut the ruffles off of the elastic band, and sewed them on the "dress" to have a fuzzy caterpillar. I actually left the opening on this one most of the way down and put a square of velcro about half way down, so she could wear this one to open down the front to be easy to remove. The ruffles covered the opening any way. The next layer I originally made to be the grub worm in the program but decided to use for the cocoon due to lack of time. I had some brown flannel left from previous reindeer constumes. We soaked a package of cheesecloth in tea to color it some. I stitched the cheesecloth across the flannel in rows before stitching the seam, folding over or overlapping about an inch, making lines to look like worm ridges about 5 inches apart, then completed the seam, casings, and armholes. For the butterfly, I made a black "sack" as the others, to be the center of the butterfly. I used some black lining fabric as a base to the wings because it was cheap, and I needed something to design the wings on, plus I wanted the black edge about 1 1/2" wide around the edges. I cut a pattern out of cardboard about 59" long to use for the wings. Wal-Mart has some gorgeous sheer "rainbow" looking fabric. I doubled this fabric so the colors would show up brighter, and cut so the "stripes" in the fabric followed the angles of the wings, and also matched upper and lower and each side. I then used wide seam binding around the wings to attach the sheer so they had a finished look. I sewed a black velvet ribbon that I had across the wings where the fabric met and to separate the top and bottom sections of the wings. I attached dowel rods sticking up in the center of the highest part of the wings. Since they kinda wanted to fold, I attached a straw across each wing where the width allowed. Since the back of the wings were black, I took one wing and wrapped it aross the front of the costume, folding the top of the wing over the opposite shoulder far enough down so the dowel rod was just below the shoulder, so she could just reach over her shoulder and grab it. I did the same with the other wing. I did put a little square of black velcro to hold the sides of the wings to the costume where they overlapped towards the back of the neck. This was constructed so the student could make each transformation totally independently, but she actually had another "bug" standing close to assist as needed, pulling the shedded layers out of the way and making sure she got ahold of the dowel rods. The program was a huge success with lots of "Ahhhhhs" when she unfolded her wings. Hope this is helpful.