108Views9Replies

Author Options:

jacobs ladder help Answered

i'm making a Jacobs ladder. i got the transformer but it doesn't have a plug. what should i do. i was thinking about splicing a extension cord and using it for the plug but i'm not sure if it would work. please respond.

Discussions

0
None
Kiteman

10 years ago

If you're this unsure about the power cable, are you sure that a Jacob's Ladder is the project for you?

0
None
tech-kingKiteman

Reply 10 years ago

i second that though. as such, i will help, you, but you must read the following article, and agree to its clauses: 1) i acknowledge that a jacobs ladder is a dangerous project. i could easily electrocute and kill myself. i am aware of the risks. i waive any and all liability for personal or property damages. 2) i WILL encase the ladder in plexiglass, to prevent accidental contact with people/objects 3) i WILL use it in a well ventilated area to protect myself from ozone poisoning 4) i wont try to make a plasma globe with the transformer 5) if i do shock myself, i will visit the hospital for electrical shock treatment (a lot of people die of heart failure shortly after surviving the initial shock 6) i will listen to the wise advice of tech-king now then: you probably could splice on an extension cord.

0
None
Sun Geartech-king

Reply 10 years ago

i didnt know the j. ladder emits ozone

0
None
PatrikSun Gear

Reply 10 years ago

Basically, anything that sparks in oxygen creates ozone. The ozone is probably the least of our concerns though...

0
None
NachoMahmaSun Gear

Reply 10 years ago

. Yep. I'm with TK and KM - this is not a project for you. Get some more experience before stepping up to high voltage. . If you do decide to go ahead, make sure there is a second person on-site who knows CPR (and knows to kill the power before grabbing you). A pretty good idea, even if one knows what one is doing with high voltage.

0
None
tech-kingNachoMahma

Reply 10 years ago

yes. better yet, have the helper holding and emergency off switch.

0
None
tech-kingSun Gear

Reply 10 years ago

WHAT!!! okay, you definitly did not do enoughy reserch on high voltages. dare i ask where the transformer came from? (if its from a microwave, dont use it) i really dont think you are ready for high voltage projects

0
None
Sun Geartech-king

Reply 10 years ago

its a transformer from a neon sign heavy col

0
None
tech-kingSun Gear

Reply 10 years ago

how many ma? if its more than 20, you arent ready for this project in my opinion