Author Options:

magazines as etching paper for PCB's? Answered

i've read somewhere that you can use magazines for etching PCB's.
now, that seems perfect (if it works) becouse of the reuse, its cheap, and it works :D

but, 2 questions came to me:
first, wouldnt the ink already in the magazines (text, pictures, etc) mess up the toner transfer?
and how about the size of the paper? just cut it down to A4/A5 format using one of those big knive cutting tools? (don't know how theyr called in english :P )



Best Answer 8 years ago

Since the way the ink is transferred to the paper is different (Laser printing vs Offset printing) it should only transfer the laser ink.  (This is also why using an ink-jet printer won't work.)

However I have seen a few hand made boards where you could very faintly see car ads in the background but it didn't effect the board.  If it happens find higher gloss paper.

Those Big Knife Cutting Tools are usually called 'paper cutters', 'paper trimmers' or 'guillotine cutters'.  You can use a ruler and a craft knife if you don't have one.


8 years ago

The glossy layer on magazine paper is applied on top of the ink, so the ink doesn't affect the transfer.  The magazine paper should be as glossy as possible.

Yes, simply cut the magazine paper into a size that will fit into your laser printer.  When you print, make sure you change your print settings to match the paper size.

Hmmm. As a photographer who works with graphic designers (and printers) all the time, I don't believe that first statement is true, Jeff.

Glossy publications are normally printed on glossy paper stock, without any overprinting.

There are exceptions. Sometimes a protective varnish is applied. Another is when a "spot varnish" is used.

"Spot" as in "spot color"--which usually means a solid (non-halftone) color that's printed selectively on the paper. "Varnish" as in transparent ink. A spot varnish could be glossy or matte...

Ah, my mistake.  I must have been the varnish I was thinking of.  That's mainly used on the covers, right?

Yeah. There's some lamination processes, too, but they're more likely used for book covers.

thnx guys, this is really great :D

and i do not own one of those paper cutters, but i have acces to one, so that shouldnt be any problem :)