Author Options:

oil burner ignition transformer and uses question ? Answered

i recently just got a hold of a Allanson oil ignition transformer, the output voltage is 10,000 volts at 23 ma.
the power cord was cut so i have to connect another power cord. what gauge or metal is recommended
for the output terminals and can i attach a power switch to the 120 A.C. volt line. i was planning on starting off making a jacobs ladder then later on making a tesla coil after i have worked with high voltage a little bit longer are there any more uses for the high voltage transformer i have



> what gauge or metal is recommended for the output terminals
.  For 23mA, you can use just about any guage wire that you can handle without breaking it. The critical part will be the insulation - you need insulation that will handle over 10kV. Modern automotive spark plug wires are good for over 30kV - even an old one should work well for what you are doing. If you can find some high-performance "racing" spark plug wire, it will usually have a much more rugged core than OEM the OEM carbon-core, resistor wires.
> can i attach a power switch to the 120 A.C. volt line
.  Yes. Make sure you install a fuse/circuit breaker, also. How much current will it pull on the 120VAC side? Your pic of the dataplate is very blurry, but it look like it pulls 24.0VA. Divide that by 120V and you get 0.2A. The transformer will probably have a high in-rush current, so I'd try a 1A fuse (but don't be surprised if you have to use a larger value and/or a slo-blo fuse).

i looked back on the data plate and it is actually 250 VA would i be able to use a 2 pole 20 amp circuit breaker like this and would they connect in the corresponding terminals


. I'm not sure - I was a technician and installed/maintained them, but the engineers decided what size to use. My gut tells me that a 5A CB would be better.

the store only has 2 pole cb down to 20 amps but single pole for lower amperage could i us two 5 amp cb to connect to the power cord

. You only need one fuse or a single-pole breaker. Put it on the hot leg.
. I strongly urge you to use a ground (connect it to the case of the transformer).
. I also urge you to use a properly wired ground-fault breaker.

and i can just connect a regular 2 prong power cable to the 120 volt input right