Introduction: 35mm Film Bag
Historically, 35mm film was made of triacetate, but newer film is made of mylar. This newer film is surprisingly durable, and can be pieced together to construct handbags and tote bags in a variety of sizes and shapes. The steps that follow document the construction of a medium-sized tote bag, but you can vary the measurements to make any type of bag you'd like.
Also check out the photos-only 'ible of this super cool bag!
Finalist in the
SINGER Quilting Contest
Step 1: You'll Need. . .
- 35mm film - trailers from newer films are suggested and can frequently be found on eBay for only a few dollars
- heavy-duty string (yarn can also be used if desired)
- sewing needle
- ruler (optional but suggested)
Step 2: Cutting Strips and Piecing
- 14 strips 12" long (7 per side)
- 2 strips 12" long (for the handles)
- 2 strips 26" long (for the sides and the bottom)
- Begin by threading your needle and overlapping the sprockets of two of the 12" strips
- Stitch through the sprockets to hold the two strips together (an up-and-down type stitch is suggested)
- Add another strip overlapping one of the two existing strips and sew through the sprockets to connect the strips
- Continue until you have affixed 7 strips to each other to form a sheet of film
- Repeat with the other 7 12" strips
- Fold up approximately an inch of each side of each of the two sheets so that the cut ends are not exposed
Step 3: Sides, Bottom, and Handles
- Overlap the edges of the 26" long pieces and sew through the sprockets to connect them to one another (an up-and-down type stitch is suggested)
- Align the cut edge of the side piece with one of the sheets and sew through to connect them (an over-hand stitch is suggested)
- Continue around the bottom edge sewing through the sprockets before sewing up the third side
- Repeat to affix the second sheet to the side/bottom pieces
- Position the remaining 12" pieces where you would like your handles and sew to secure them to the bag (an up-and-down type stitch is suggested)
- Show off your awesome new bag!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.