Every automobile parts store I walk in these days has freon for sale. When R-12 was around I was licensed to buy and use it. I thought that was a good thing because you can be severely injured and or do $$ of damage to the system your working on. I decided I would do this instructable for the following 2 reasons . First to help people to understand and be safe. Second to equip you to make a repair to your AC system if it just needs a Freon charge to bring it back to good working order. First a few Rules you need to always follow.
1. Since your car engine is running to charge the AC system there are moving belts and pulleys,fan(s) and very hot parts. You can easily loose your fingers if you put them where they don't belong!
2. Freon if sprayed as a liquid on your body parts will freeze them instantly- FROSTBITE
3.Don't release freon into the atmosphere. It is not good for the earth.
4.Wear safety goggles at all times incase a hose blows or something goes wrong and freon is sprayed on your face.
5. If after reading this instructable you feel unsure about doing this then you should not be doing it.
THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS AND THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR INJURY. I ASSUME NO LIABILITY FOR YOUR TRYING THIS. THIS IS JUST A DEMONSTRATION OF HOW TO DO IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO DO IT YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Ok lets get started.
1. The adapter to connect from the freon can to your freon SUCTION SIDE of the AC system.
Found where you buy freon.
2. Freon- probably 2 cans if your system is barely cold. If it is cool but not as cold as it was buy 1 can
3. A thermometer to see the temp drop from the dash vents or cold air out.
4. An AC system in need of some freon.
Step 1: Install the hose on can
We now make sure the pin in the tool is backed out so we cant see the point. We install the hose tool on the can. The can is not punctured. Once you screw the pin down into the can you can not remove the hose tool until the can is empty.When you screw the pin in to the can the pin seals in the freon. The other end of the hose also has a safety seat built in it so if the pin is backed out it will not vent freon to the atmosphere.
AS LONG AS THE CAN IS UPRIGHT ONLY VAPOR COMES OUT OF THE HOSE
IF THE CAN IS UPSIDE DOWN LIQUID COMES OUT SO KEEP IT RIGHT SIDE UP!
I spent a lot of time on this simple step but that was so you do this SAFELY.