Here's a Link to another Instructable of mine: DIY Solar+Wind House.
This is a 'Green' and eco-friendly Instructable which creates a sustainable way of living which combines the use of Solar & BATTERIES. For example, the materials/ parts used do not consume electricity inorder to function. Instead it generates Clean Electricity from the Sun. No electricity is needed when it's not in use and in stand-by mode. The entire circuit is easy to repair, individual parts can be reused and also recycled down the line.
What is a Solar System?
A Solar System is a system which converts light energy into electrical energy, stores this electrical energy and also consumes this stored energy.
Unlike Petrol, Solar energy from the Sun is free of cost and you dont pay taxes on it. The prices of fuel will always increase, but as production of solar panels increase the price of these panels shall decrease. You can store the converted solar energy in a BATTERY. A solar system can be assembled in any OUTDOOR WORKSHOP. Solar Energy is a Green Energy, its a Renewable Source of Energy and its good for our planet. And as long as the sun shines your system will be powered.
Step 1: Things You will Need
- Solar Panel- 12V, 50W
- Lead Acid Battery- 12V,65Ah
- Charge Controller and Charge Indicator
- Battery Conectors (Lugs/ Ring Terminals)
- 2.5mm or 3mm Wire.
- Inverter- 12VDC to 220VAC, 400W
- Switch Box/ Extension Box.
- Power Consumption Meter.
- Circuit Breaker.
- Spanner Set.
- Soldering Iron & Soldering Wire
- Wire Cutter.
The Parts & Tools are also available at Radioshack. The links have been attached.
- Solar Panel- 12V, 50W or more. Sunforce® 50-Watt Pro-Series Amorphous Solar Panel
- Lead Acid Battery- 12V, 32Ah or 65Ah or more. Sealed Lead-Acid Battery
- Charge Controller and Charge Indicator. Sunforce® Charge Controller
- Battery Conectors (Lugs/ Ring Terminals). Insulated Ring Terminal (16-Pack)
- 2.5mm or 3mm Wire. 3mm Wire
- Inverter- 12VDC to 220VAC, 400W or 600W.Whistler® 400W Inverter
- Switch Box/ Extension Box. Belkin 6-Outlet Commercial Surge Protector (10 Feet)
- Power Consumption Meter. Power Monitor
- 2 X Circuit Breaker. Circuit Breaker-15A
- Spanner Set.
- Soldering Iron. RadioShack® Digital Soldering Station
- Soldering Wire High-Tech Rosin Core Silver-Bearing Solder (1.5 Oz.)
- Wire Cutter. RadioShack® Gauged Wire Stripper/Cutter
- Screwdriver. RadioShack® 6-Piece Precision Electronics Screwdriver Set
- Multimeter. RadioShack® 15-Range Digital Multimeter
ALTERNATIVE PARTS LIST(CHEAPER):
- Solar Panel- 12V, 75W Aleko 75W Solar Panel
- Lead Acid Battery- 12V, 35Ah Universal Power Group Sealed Lead Acid Battery
- Charge Controller and Charge Indicator. Solar Charge Controller
- Battery Conectors (Lugs/ Ring Terminals). Insulated Ring Terminal (16-Pack) Ring Terminals
- 3mm Wire. 3mm Wire.
- Inverter- 12VDC to 220VAC, 400W Whistler 400W Power Inverter
- Switch Box/ Extension Box. Belkin 6-Outlet Home/Office Surge Protector with 2.5 feet Cord
- Power Consumption Meter. ® TS-836A Plug Power Meter Energy
- 2 X Circuit Breaker. Siemens Q115 15-Amp 1 Pole 120-Volt Circuit Breaker
There also various other places where you can find the required parts and tools for cheaper prices. If you do know any such place/shop/online store, you can share your parts list in the comment section below. Try leaving a link to each of those parts.