Now all that's left to do it to wire it up, and connect it to an Arduino. Since I'm using Cat5, I'm going to go with that color scheme. Here is as best I can describe it from the view of the first picture.
Orange - top middle
Orange w - bottom middle
Blue - inner left C shape
Blue w - outer left C shape
Green - inner right C shape
Green - outer right C shape
You are going to want to test the connections from the other side of the cable. This makes it easy to touch random combinations to the 3v batteries.Here is a spreadsheet
I created to track the connections. If yours are different for some reason then make notes, as changes will have to be made when you load the software.
When I started out, I used a number scheme based on the columns. There were a total of 5, with the outer ones having 6 each (65556). Ignore that for programming, go with the 1-27 one, as it is much easier to address in the program. However, it is still useful while testing, as trying to remember which one is 16 can be crazy, but finding the 3rd one in column 4 (43) is easy. Both are there for you.Here is the source code
that I used for the two animations in the videos. Remember to put a resistor between your Arduino pins and your wires!!
Unfortunately there is a limitation on the Arduino's array size. I'm not sure what it is, which is why I made an array of bytes to save space. Basically you can have any two of the animations, but not all of them. If the Arduino doesn't respond, comment out some lines of the animation, and then send that over.
This is only the first version. I've already written something in process that I can use to plan the animations, and once I've got it generating code to work with my program, then I'll release that too. I'm also working on a second version of the software with multiple animations and interactive controls. I'll make sure to update once I've got some of that working. Subscribe to my blog
for any updates.