Introduction: Asian-Style Tomato Soup With Rice Noodles
This recipe is so delicious and classic to our family, I just had to share. The base of the soup is mainly tomatoes but the addition of the rice noodles/vermicelli, meatballs, and tender vegetables just makes everything click together.
This recipe is great because it is so versatile. We make all different versions: vegetarian, meat-loving, and everywhere in between. I made a version with tofu, shrimp, and mushrooms (picture below) but the recipe that the recipe uses has more veggies and adds some yummy homemade meatballs. The dish is very healthy with a combination of vegetables, meat, grains (the noodles) but be creative and see what combination you'll put together.
Asian-Style Tomato Soup with Rice Noodles is a delicious, versatile recipe for the family or for a quick dinner.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 package of vermicelli- this can be found in most of the Asian section of your local grocery store or you can also go to an Asian supermarket
- 2 pounds of tomatoes- about 2 to 3 tomatoes but you can add/subtract the amount accordingly to your taste
- 6 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of tomato paste- for a richer taste, add more
- 1 pound of ground meat- to your taste
- 1 pound of shrimp- again add how much you want
- 3 slices of ginger
- 2 ounces of dried shrimp- this can be found in an Asian supermarket
- salt, sugar, oyster sauce, olive oil (these are the seasonings for the dish so add how much you like)
The ingredients below are to add more substance to the dish so you can mix and match however you want. These are some of my favorites:
- any vegetables- such as mushrooms, celery, carrots, mint leaves
- fish- salmon goes very well this dish and tilapia is great too
- tofu- to add a more vegetarian taste
- herbs- basil, green onion, garlic
Step 2: Preparing the Ingredients
Cut up your tomatoes and any other vegetables you have. Prepare the shrimp (defrost and peel if needed) and any fish or tofu you're going to add. Slice up the ginger and any other herbs as well.
This is also the time to season the ground meat. Sprinkle a bit of salt and sugar (I'd say about 1/2 teaspoon each) and add about 1 teaspoon of olive oil and oyster sauce (each).
Step 3: Starting the Soup
In a large pot, add just enough olive oil to cover half of the bottom. Then add the 3 slices of ginger and dried shrimp. Then add your sliced tomatoes and stir.
Step 4: Making the Soup
Then add the 2 teaspoons of tomato paste to the tomatoes along with the six cups of water. Boil for about 5 to 7 minutes and then add the other vegetables (like celery, mushrooms, etc.). Cover and let simmer.
Step 5: Preparing the Vermicelli
Meanwhile in a large pot, add the vermicelli or rice noodles. Pour enough water to cover the noodles and boil until the noodles start to separate from each other. Drain in a colander and set aside.
Step 6: Meatballs and Flavoring
Now back to the tomato soup. Add the shrimp and any fish you decide to
use. Then start rolling your meatballs (scoop the meat mixture with a
tablespoon and roll in your palm to form a ball). Once you’re done
with the meatballs add those the the soup. Season the soup with some
more oyster sauce, salt, and sugar but you can be creative and add other
flavors as well. Simmer for about 3 more minutes.
Step 7: Finish!
Then add the drained rice noodles/vermicelli to the tomato soup and keep warm until serving. Asian-Style Tomato Soup with Rice Noodles is a great family meal that is easy to make and customizable as well. The dish is delicious enough to impress but simple to enjoy as comfort food. Enjoy!