Picture of Bang & Olufsen 900k Boombox
This is a conversion of a B&O radio/amplifier from ca 1964 to a portable, battery powered boombox for stylish picnics in the park!

Step 1: The Beginning

Picture of The Beginning
I was given an old B&O stereo radio and decided to do something interesting with it. Here are the main parts that I used in the project.
Mihsin1 year ago
Your new creation is of good use now.
My turn table (BEOGRAM 1203, Type 5239) stylus is broken. I couldn't find a replacement needle, B&O nolonger makes them. Could you please search the possilbility of finding one for me in Sweden?
Head number is SP10. My E-mail: farhatmm@hotmail.com
Best regards
That looked like a nice tube multi band radio......... until you wrecked it : (
dar303 (author)  HawkEyeYellow6 years ago
I'm not a barbarian guys! This one was an all transistor (germanium propably) radio with NO TUBES and it was already heavily corroded due to moisture in the air and had a broken power supply. The things that looked like tubes was propably just the old leaky electrolytic capacitors in the supply. Here in Sweden you can find them free at the recycling station or at flea markets for less than 50Euro. One of my friend found a complete Beosystem 6500 with the big remote in his appartment building trash last week...that is a good find! It is going to be restored to original condition.
Hacking a late 60's radio. OMG... a mod mod. Good choice too, as those B&O 900's aren't worth much more than about 50 Euro or so.
Hey, if anyone knows where I can get one for 50 Euros let me know, will you? I just got whipped in an Ebay bidding war on one of these. Of course, I would restore it rather than gutting it. I like the idea of re-purposing, but I like vintage Hi-fi better. ;)
Xellers6 years ago
Was this tube state or solid state? I think I see some vacuum tubes in the last picture in the pile of junk :-(.
Esmagamus7 years ago
Do you realised that you torn apart and destroyed what is possibly a valuable radio? Not to mention B&O is top quality gear!
Totally agree.
cash688 years ago
Nice work, it's cool to hack old stuff like that. I just finished a hack of my own installing some new woofers in some Beovox S55s, but soon I'll be swapping the turntable of my beocenter 7700 with a small laptop. I'm going to try to keep it looking B&O though. ;) Anyway, good job! Looks pimp!
dar303 (author)  cash688 years ago
Thanks! I have since added a remotecontrol for my Samsung MP3-player. The original B&O buttons controls the MP3-player, it was just a matter of finding the right resistor values for the different functions of the player and then have the buttons switch in and out the resistors. Be sure to post an instructable or some pictures of your projects for us to looka at!
baretrapp8 years ago
wher did you get the parts, power supply, amp, etc.
dar303 (author)  baretrapp8 years ago
Hi, I found all components exept the speakers in my scrapheap. I can hardly throw away anything and as long as I have space left I continue to save good stuff...makes quite a mess but I can build most things without buying anything.
dar303 (author) 9 years ago
bean_machine: Yes I did, im Swedish and I used our spelling...i'll correct it!
it's cool, but me thinks you spelled picnics wrong the the intro
joe9 years ago
This is way cool.
jeffroward9 years ago
That is just gorgeous. Beautiful repurposing!
dar303 (author) 9 years ago
Thanks! The volumecontrol wasn't only corroded, it was reverse log with several taps...totaly useless as an ordinary volumecontrol.
radiorental9 years ago
very nice! for anyone that has an old radio with a noisy volume control you can reduce the noise by firstly switching the power off, then spend about 5 minutes turning the control from min to max. That will clean off most dust or corrosion.