I got the ideea to put an dead led to high voltage and it worked.

Step 1: Power Source

The power source is from this instructable (https://www.instructables.com/id/Make-an-Ultra-Simple-High-Voltage-Generator/)

-high current supply
-crocodile clips

Step 2: High Voltage Supply

Invert the input with the output. Put the led at new output and power supply to new input

Step 3: Result

My output was at a low current as 20mA  but if the current is bigger the led can break fiscally the epoxy can break. You can put a diode bridge to convert from AC to DC.
So disregarding the fact that at 300v the LED should instantly turn into a ball of flames, has anyone bought this enough to keep it on here? Shouldn't this be flagged for quality control? I mean it is dangerous and for all intents and purposes impossible.
lol fisically
Please stay away from voltages over 35 volts until you get a bit more experience under your belt. Random experiments with 300 volts could be your last. Just want you to hang around for a good while yet.
I am totally safe because the amperage is not high.<br>Before I started making projects with high voltage or any kind of projects I had the unpleasant experience to get electrocuted at 220v at 1amp and I survived so I know the risk
What is you estimate of the current? How much do you think it takes to kill?
it depends on voltage, at 220v about 500mA is enough to kill you above 1000v 300mA will kill you for sure
I would check that out a bit more. The voltage depends mainly on ( highly variable ) skin resistance and can be much lower than 220 volts ). It is really only the current that kills and a lot depends upon how it is applied. On one hand a finger to finger shock can probably have enough current to turn the fingers to charcoal, a shock from arm to arm can have fairly low currents that will stop the heart ( and the right current can restart it ) If the current is 60 hz you may hz more (pun) See http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~p616/safety/fatal_current.html and think more about safety.
I know the danger because I have been electrocuted many times . the worst in my opinion was when I touched the usb plug and a ground because then i didn't felt my teeth. and there were 5 volts and about 10amps. now i am starting to build a zvs driver for a flyback transformer to power up a tesla coil
yes but you said it was 10 amps. Normal USB outs on a computer are up to 500ma. The reason why you have been &quot;electrocuted&quot; many times is because you didn't know the dangers or you knew them but you weren't avoiding them. Besides, you might of just been shocked many times, not electrocuted. Sometimes if you are lucky, you can get electrocuted and survive, you will have burnt skin and you will be on the other side of the room.<br>Stay safe!
an atx power supply about 300w gives an output at 5v with 20 amps and my computer was very old so i assumed at the usb was about 10 amps ,sorry it was my mistake. <br>yes I been shocked many times but also electrocuted.<br> &quot;you will be on the other side of the room&quot; this is in the movies, I got electrocuted in the arm and all my muscles in that area got tense . you are able to think in that moment and you pull your tense arm with the other or call for help.
I know people who have been thrown across the room :D<br>
<p>Way late to the party but, I have a friend who is a trained electrician (trained by FoMoCo)</p><p>He regularly used the back of his hand to check 415V circuits. Said after 15+ yrs, it just tickled a bit</p><p>As for the rest, </p><p>I don't know much about electronics but <br>and I wouldn't expect a ball of flame but probably crack or exploding <br>epoxy due to thermal shock?</p><p>What is the chemistry behind reviving a <br> 'dead' LED? I have a few that were over volted (not by me) and have <br>turned brown, I don't think this would help them?</p>
wow that was a serious shock .
I just got shocked by a Hi-Fi amp. The caps were still charged and the wall plug was connected to them and It wasn't nice at all. My hand was hurting for hours!
i know the felling i got shocked from a flash capacitor and it burnt my skin
This was low volts and high amps! Amps hurt... and kill...<br>A flash cap would have hurt a heck of a lot
Wait, how can a usb plug electricute you? Usually USB outlets only give up 5 volts DC and 1 ampere of power. Why did you get shocked?
Great work by the EMTs I think.
Actually, the hz allows you to let go because of the pulsing and polarity reversal. DC high voltage freezes your muscles, not enabling you to let go, and fries you in place. Yech! Disgusting, but true never the less.
I don't suppose this is going to work , but I have to say it anyway, because the last person I tried to warn didn't listen and he ended up dying. A local, popular handyman was playing with hydrogen generation on a massive scale, so as to power a good-sized diesel generator. When I by chance meeting,encountered him, his set up was crazily hazardous, using regular light switches to cut in each set of hydrogen generation plates. The wiring was a rat's nest, and his collection chamber was a Craftsman painter's pressure vessel. Insulation was haphazard, and there were no fail-safe over temperature or over-pressure devices. Nor was there enough design mechanically to assume an explosion, and to direct the force in a harmless direction. I tried to gently explain how he was rushing his experiment and needed to slow down and take things a little more slowly and carefully, and make his setup safe. He was so excited by the volumes of hydrogen generated, and his drunken friend was so 'protective' of the 'genius and reputation' of his friend, that I couldn't get another word in. It wasn't a month later that I heard that there was a huge explosion and a popular handyman had died in the blast. Police were trying to figure out what caused the explosion. I called the info hotline anonymously, and asked them to check the surroundings for signs of a hydrogen generation apparatus, and left it at that. I still wonder what else I could have said to dissuade him, but, (and this is the main point), any experimenter dealing with dangerous temperatures, chemicals, electrical potentials, pressures, or whatever. As exciting as your groundbreaking, cutting-edge experiments may be, they are still experiments, and you need to think things out, and carefully craft and lay out your experiment. Science means that someone else should duplicate your experiment and come up with the same results. All to often, it is a fluke that it works and takes weeks or months of proper reverse-engineering to figure out why, or explain the process. As far as shocks go, never hold any apparatus on your lap. Realize that with modern switching regulators, the chassis might be hot, even though the low voltage outputs are isolated. Also on the switching regulator, there is a small section that is at anywhere from the line voltage, to the peak rectified filtered line voltage. For 115 Volts, that is about 169 volts DC. One of the reasons you don't see repair manuals for microwave ovens anymore is that more than one knowledgeable technician died, having crossed the high voltage capacitor for the magnetron, before bleeder resistors were integral to them. No one wants deaths haunting them nor lawsuits, so that's why thy're gone from the shelves.
It works with a 720 VA neon transformer for a second. Then the LED catches fire and makes the garage stink for a week. Don't do it indoors.
By the way, why would anybody ever want to make something like this. It is dangerous and why do we use leds, because they are cheap and workat lower voltages than other sorts of bulbs.so why would anybody want to power a 2.5 volt dead led with 300v. I would describe this instructable in two words &quot;TOTALLY INSANE&quot;
Look up electrocuted - it means you were KILLED by electricity. That is where you're headed if you continue playing with such things without learning the safety rules. Never hookup the low voltage side of a transformer to line voltage to start with. VERY BAD IDEA ...OTHER PEOPLE, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS !!! <br> <br> &quot; and The Darwin Award goes to morphic cu ion ...&quot; <br>
Sorry about my articulation because English is my second language and it is very safe, if you didn't knew you can be killed at 5 volts and even at 1.5
Did you get anything more than one single flash out of it?
yes it is constantly flashing at 50hz
what the hell did you do with this? How is it making light?
the high voltage on the output makes an electrical arc inside the LED. So the anode and the cathode are connected and it is making light
For the sake of your multimeter, I hope you didn't just connect it across the power supply with no other load to see &quot;what the current was&quot; &gt;_&lt;<br><br>Have you tried this with any other colour of LED? Do you know what voltage your power supply was outputting?
No, I didn't tried with other colors and output voltage is about 300v and the multimeter is ok .

About This Instructable



More by theVader75:Soldering tips and tricks Selena B 215 The ZVS driver 
Add instructable to: