We finally have two kids who can walk! Cue the superheroes.
Eric always had a preference for the classic, more colorful, goofy blue and grey Batman and Robin. We also wanted to make sure these retro-inspired costumes looked handmade like the honored grandmothers of the day would have fashioned. ;) We didn't use any fabric store patterns this year, and we were surprised at the ease in creating these costumes using ready-made t-shirts from Wal-Mart along with a few slightly altered pieces of fabric from our local fabric store.
When all was said and done, we probably spent about $30 per costume. Happy Hearts.
Here are the materials we used:
- Red, yellow, and grey plain t-shirts
- a green t-shirt we already had
- grey girly stretch pants from Wal-Mart
- yellow tights
- blue and green soccer socks
- cowboy boots that we already had
- 1/2 yard each of yellow and green Spandex
- 1/2 yard of blue "stretchy velvet"
- black and yellow felt that we already had. One sheet of each color would be plenty
- a very talented grandma who can crochet a batman hat, and the blue yarn
- blue button for cowl
- black foam masquerade mask
- yellow Duck Tape
- 4 AA dead batteries (we suggest you let them die of natural causes)
- about 20" of 1" wide black nylon strip
- metal belt buckles