Another year, another birthday. My oldest son is now 6 years old! I can't believe it.
He is anxiously awaiting Despicable Me 2 and wanted a minion cake for his birthday with six minions of course!
They are simple and fun to make and add much personality to a birthday cake!
I only highlight how to make the minions in this instructable. The rest is pretty self explanatory. If you have ever seen my cakes in the past you will already know I refuse to cover a cake completely in fondant but love to make characters out of it!
Step 1: Body and Trousers
Like I said before these minions are super simple. You will need the following colors of fondant: yellow, blue, black, brown, gray, white and possibly pink if you make a tongue!
1. For the basic body, make an egg shape with yellow fondant. About 2 1/2 to 3 inches tall depending on desired size.
2. Using blue fondant make two half circle shapes and using a dab of water attach them to the sides near the bottom of the body.
3. Make a long thin rectangle from more blue fondant and wrap it from front to back - kind of like a diaper!! :) Again, attaching it with a bit of water. All pieces stick well with a tiny bit of water but don't put too much or you will have a sticky mess. Less is more in this case!
4. Roll out two snake shapes of blue fondant. Press them slightly to flatten them and attach them from the top corner of the front of the trousers to the top corner of the back of the trousers.
5. Make a small half circle for the front pocket and using a toothpick make little stitching marks on the pocket and along the top of the trousers.